70b57a7e11bca9b493a1c6f6f323217a.jpg

SOUTH BRUNSWICK: SBHS Taylor commits to Rutgers University

By Ed Birch, Special Writer
   South Brunswick Vikings star junior wide received T.J. Taylor has announced that he has verbally committed his highly sought after talents to the Scarlet Knights of Rutgers University in New Brunswick.
   Taylor notified Rutgers Head Football Coach Kyle Flood of his decision at 8:15 a.m. Wednesday, according to former Vikings Head Coach Rick Mantz.
   Taylor is coming off a spectacular season with 17 receptions for 468 total yards including six touchdowns in the Division Championship campaign.
   On the defensive side of the ball, Taylor broke up eight pass plays as a strong safety, caught one interception, and assisted on 52 tackles.
   Taylor also returned five kick offs for 70 total yards.
   The 17-year-old resident of Monmouth Junction said he is very happy that he is able to put college recruiting behind him by making this early decision.
   In addition to Rutgers, he was also weighing offers from Temple, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, U-Mass, and U-Conn.
   He has also seen interest expressed by such top-notch programs as Penn State, Kansas, Wisconsin, Boston College, Maryland, and Georgia Tech.
   ”I chose Rutgers because of the academics of the school, the reputation of Scarlet Knights football, their schedule and membership in the Big East, and my visions of the program that Coach Flood is assembling,” Taylor said.
   Mohammed Sanu, former SBHS alumnus and now in the NFL’s Cincinnati Bengals camp, said “Wow…this news is really great and a big plus for both Rutgers and South Brunswick High School.”
   Sanu completed a stellar junior year playing wide receiver for Rutgers last year and was drafted into the pros in April, becoming the 83rd pick in the third round.
   Taylor said he is happy that the process has ended, and he can now concentrate on his final year in high school while his college career plans are firm.