By Peter Sclafani, Packet Media Group
MANSFIELD — The residents of Sheffield Drive have bought themselves some more time to protest the proposed office building slated to be built at 14 Sheffield Drive.
At the May 29 Mansfield Township Planning Board meeting, members of the board decided that James Rockwell’s application to build two 7,950-square-foot buildings with 71 parking spots was incomplete and, thus, could not be properly reviewed.
The problem stemmed from Mr. Rockwell failing to meet the requirements the board had set out for him in a previous meeting. Without plans to fix the outstanding infractions, the board would be “flying blind” in making a decision, said Louis Glass, of Louis Glass Associates, who was hired by the board to review the project.
In a previous meeting, the Planning Board requested a buffer between the building and the neighboring residences be added to the existing plans. However, the unclear plans for the property’s septic tank remains a concern because it could affect the buffer area.
The location and size of the septic tank potentially can change the rest of the plans for the property, according to Mr. Glass.
According to local residents, the three acres of land the proposed building would sit on is prone to flooding, and the new building would contribute to more flooding.
Mansfield resident Joe Jones, who lives near the proposed building site, said he was “pleased the board insisted that they provide more information before making a decision.”
According to the five professionals hired by the board to review the application, Mr. Rockwell has made critical design changes to the plan, which the board needs time to review before making a decision on whether to approve the plan.
The professionals said they believed they did not have adequate time to review the changes Mr. Rockwell made.
Mansfield Mayor Arthur Puglia, who is a member of the Planning Board, excused himself from the meeting and could not comment on the plans because he lives within 200 feet of the property.
”It creates a conflict of interest,” Mayor Puglia said. “I must remain neutral.”
Although Mr. Rockwell’s attorney, Gary Forshner, said the board already had reviewed the plans, board members still felt uncomfortable approving the changes, which had been submitted just hours before the meeting.
”I am not comfortable without our professionals being able to guide us,” board member Douglas Borgstrom said. “A lot of stuff needs to be fixed.”
Mr. Rockwell declined to comment on the status of his application as of press time.
A public records request has been filed with Mansfield Township by the Register-News. The township would not share a copy of the application with the press despite repeated requests for access to the information.
At the May 29 meeting, the Planning Board voted unanimously to deem the application incomplete. The earliest the Sheffield Drive application can be heard again will be at the next meeting June 25.
Residents of Sheffield Drive, a neighborhood near the proposed office building, likely will continue to protest the application.
For information on the opposition movement by Mansfield residents against the proposed office space development, visit www.savesheffielddrive.com.

