MONROE: Locals react to healthcare verdict

By Amy batista, Special Writer
   MONROE — The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, or more commonly referred to as “Obamacare,” was upheld in a 5-4 U.S. Supreme Court decision June 28.
   ”As a pediatrician, I’m pleased the Affordable Care Act was upheld by the Supreme Court,” said Dr. Adam Naddelman, President of Princeton Nassau Pediatrics, P.A.., which has offices in Princeton, West Windsor and Monroe and will be soon opening one in Pennington. “There are many important provisions that will greatly impact children’s health in the US. Children with pre-existing conditions cannot be denied coverage, millions of children without health insurance will gain coverage through the (act), young adults up to the age of 26 can remain on their parents’ coverage, and lifetime limits on coverage are lifted, meaning children with chronic health issues like diabetes don’t have to plan for a future where they could exhaust their medical benefits. These increased benefits and access should improve the health of our nation’s child.”
   Dr. Naddelman said that he was surprised a little by the way the decision was upheld by the Supreme Court.
   ”I was expecting it to pass 5-4, but was surprised at the composition of the five votes,” Dr. Naddelman said. “There are a lot of provisions in the Affordable Care Act that will come to light over the next two years that may surprise some people. The number of uninsured Americans should dramatically decrease for the first time in decades. There will be more options for people to purchase their own insurance through the insurance exchanges being created within each state.”
   For many, commenting on the decision was not easy. Many residents and businesses in the area responded with laughs at times and then “No comment” and quickly seeing how fast they could walk away from the reporter. For others, it was simply a matter of not knowing enough about the topic to feel comfortable enough to go on record with an opinion.
   ”I would like to know more about it,” said Joan Fike of Belford. “I think they (opponents) make things sound worse than they really are.”
   However, of those commenting in Monroe, many were in favor of the decision which, one resident claimed because “it’s a 99 percent Democratic town.”
   ”I thought it was constitutional and it’s a good thing,” said Hector Colon of Monroe. “I think it’s smart for the people that don’t have health insurance. I have health insurance, it doesn’t help me specifically but if it helps other people.”
   Dolores Williams of Monroe shared what it was like to experience a personal crisis in her life with her daughter, who had cancer and did not have insurance at the time, and explained how her whole life changed because of this.
   ”I think it’s a good thing because so many people don’t have insurance,” said Ms. Williams. “A year and a half ago, my daughter, who was 40 years old, was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Our entire life changed.”
   She said her daughter was a student finishing up her certification to teach. She had been in business for 13 years and had been transferred into education.
   ”Everything had come to a halt when she was diagnosed with cancer. She couldn’t return to school and slowly all of her medical benefits went down. She is now cancer free but has to have on-going cancer treatment,” Ms. Williams said.
   Her daughter also lost her place of residency, her job, and her mom became her caretaker.
   ”So health insurance is very important to me,” Ms. Williams said. “Now, how they are going to distinguish who pays for healthcare as it will be necessary, I don’t know. I think there are so many people that have dedicated their lives to an area whether it’s education or law or whatever, you don’t know when a crisis will arise in your life so I think it is a move forward.” For one resident, it was about still respecting basic rights and trying to understand why people are resisting change in this country.
   ”I just wish that we had a real national health plan,” said Peppy Fuerst of Monroe. “I don’t know why people are arguing. They always resist any change. This is supposed to be an open and free democracy. People are constantly resisting change. I don’t understand it.”
   However, for one resident, it was very clear, and it was not a good decision by the high court.
   ”Bad law and it’s a tax,” said Jim Baglivi, Jr. of Monroe.
   When ask to explain how it was bad, he just repeated “bad law.” Mr. Baglivi said that the government is cutting $500 billion from Medicare as a result of the law.