SOUTH BRUNSWICK: Court’s health verdict brings local reaction

By Charles W. Kim, Managing Editor
   Last week’s U.S. Supreme Court decision to uphold the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, including the controversial individual mandate, brought many reactions from local politicians while many in the healthcare industry remained silent.
   The high court upheld what has come to be known as “Obamacare” in a 5-4 vote announced June 28. The ruling allows the law to go into full effect by 2014 including a provision that every citizen purchase health insurance or face a tax assessment of $600 or 2 percent of the individual’s income, whichever is greater.
   ”The essence of the Affordable Care Act is to guarantee, through a variety of approaches, that every American can count on having access to excellent health care,” U.S.Rep.Rush Holt, D-12, said in a statement following the court’s announcement. “We still have much work to do. Every major piece of American legislation ever passed, from Social Security to Medicare to the Civil Rights Act, has been refined and improved over the years. So, too, the Affordable Care Act will be refined and improved as we gain experience with it. Today’s decision ensures that we can continue making progress toward the goal of ensuring access to excellent health care for every American.”
   Holt’s opponent in November, South Brunswick Republican Eric Beck, also released a statement following the decision.
   ”In response to today’s Supreme Court decision, I remain committed to repealing the Affordable Care Act and replacing it with market-centric healthcare reforms,” Beck said in the statement. “It does not take a ‘rocket scientist’ to solve our existing problems within our health care delivery system. What we need is a sound understanding of economics and the willingness to partner with the private sector to bring about such reforms.”
   New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, a Republican, also criticized the decision.
   ”I’ve been clear from the very beginning that I do not believe a one-size-fits-all health care program works for the entire country and that each governor should have the ability to make decisions about what works best for their state,” Gov. Christie said. “Today’s Supreme Court decision is disappointing and I still believe this is the wrong approach for the people of New Jersey who should be able to make their own judgments about health care. Most importantly, the Supreme Court is confirming what we knew all along about this law – it is a tax on middle class Americans.”
   While the politicians had quite a bit to say about the court’s decision and the law, which President Barack Obama signed in 2009, locals in the healthcare industry were noticeably quiet.
   Several doctors, pharmacy workers and others in related businesses in South Brunswick did not respond to requests for comment during the last week.
   Others in the business community and private citizens, however, did speak out ion the decision.
   For most of the people interviewed, clarity of the law and affordability were the main issues.
   ”If it is affordable, yes, it is good,” Anees Sheikh, owner of Dollar Planet on Route 27 in Kendall Park, said Monday. “But I don’t know how affordable it will be. (I may) have to let employees (go). It is a survival matter.”
   Journalism student Elise Forte of Metuchen took issue with the individual mandate while leaving the WaWa on George’s Road Monday afternoon.
   ”As a student, I think everyone should be able to get affordable healthcare, but it shouldn’t be mandatory,” Ms. Forte said. “I think you really should’ve had a more accessible, affordable healthcare plan instead of the act).”