6fa27fc293ffa89f1acad2de2f3bcc4b.jpg

NEW HANOVER: Military hosts Independence Day bash for community

By Christina Whittington, Special Writer
   The weather outside was sweltering hot, however, thousands of people braced the heat to celebrate the nation’s birthday on July 4 at the Doughboy Field parade ground near New Hanover Township.
   Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst hosted the annual Fourth of July celebration.
   ”I have been to a lot of different firework displays at many military bases,” Rachel White of McGuire. “Tonight’s fireworks were probably the best we have seen.”
   Upon arriving at the base, folks were directed into various designated parking lots by American soldiers. Designated air conditioned shuttle buses then drove the attendees to the parade grounds.
   The celebration was free and open to the public.
   The festivities kicked off at 5 p.m. last Wednesday.
   Woody Duncan, a stiltwalker dressed in patriotic white, red and blue, walked around and greeted people.
   ”It is my first year here doing this event,” Mr. Duncan told the Register-News.
   While children had the opportunity to play on a pair of bounce houses and a magician performed tricks before the youngsters as they waited in line.
   At 7 p.m., Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes took the stage for a concert that got the crowd moving and singing such rocking hits as “I Don’t Want to Go Home.”
   Many people set up blankets and lawn chairs to enjoy the festivities. Some people brought snacks of their own, while others purchased food from vendors selling items such as sausage sandwiches, kettle corn, fresh roasted corn on the cob, funnel cakes, zeppoles and cotton candy. Guests also bought water ice, fresh squeezed lemonade and orangeade.
   For many people attending, it was their first time coming to the base to celebrate the Fourth.
   ”We saw it in the paper and thought it sounded like a lot of fun,” stated Debbie Matthews, of Jackson, who was there with her husband Brad and daughter Destiny Reese.
   New resident Jen Dwyer, of Ft. Dix, said she was pleased with what she saw.
   ”We have only been to the playground here at the field today so far, but we are excited to see the fireworks,” Ms. Dwyer said.
   For Jessica Coy, of Ft. Dix, it was the third annual year she and her family had come to the event.
   ”I like that my son can play. There are lots of kids. Its like a big picnic atmosphere, kids bring their footballs and their frisbees,” said Ms. Coy.
   When asked what his favorite part of the event was, her son Killian, 5, immediately said, “(The) fireworks!”
   After the singing of the National Anthem, the fireworks kicked off at about 9:25 p.m. reworks exploded in concord with the rhythm of patriotic songs such as “Born In The USA” and “Proud to Be An American” playing in the background. The show continued on until approximately 10 p.m.
   Afterward, the crowd dispersed as people waited in line for shuttle buses to bring them back to their designated parking area.