LAWRENCE: Boy, 15, charged with pellet gun threat

By Lea Kahn, Staff Writer
   A 15-year-old Ewing Township boy has been charged with making terroristic threats, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and unlawful possession of a weapon after a July 10 incident involving a motorist on Princeton Avenue, according to police Lt. Mark Ubry.
   The boy was riding his bicycle northbound on Princeton Avenue, near Spruce Street, around 8:10 p.m., when the driver — a 19-year-old woman and her 20-year-old husband — turned right from Spruce Street onto Princeton Avenue, also heading north, Lt. Ubry said.
   For an unknown reason, the bicyclist became angry and followed the car until it stopped at the intersection of Princeton Avenue and the Brunswick Circle Extension, Lt. Ubry said.
   As the car was stopped, the boy rode his bicycle up to the passenger’s side of the car, pulled out a handgun — which was later discovered to be a pellet gun — and threatened to kill them. He did not point the weapon at them, Lt. Ubry said.
   The couple drove away and reported the incident to police. The teenager was located on Lanning Avenue a few minutes later, after police saw him and found that he matched the description of the bicyclist who had threatened the couple. He had a pellet gun in his backpack.
   The boy was taken to the Middlesex County Youth Detention Center, Lt. Ubry said. Mercer County closed its youth detention center last year.