HILLSBOROUGH: Township won’t pursue joining a county police force

By Gene Robbins, Managing Editor

Hillsborough joined the vast majority of Somerset County municipalities by saying they won’t pursue participating in a county police force, as proposed by a task force formed by the county prosecutor.
Hillsborough could have expected to save $3.7 million over 10 years if it joined a proposed regional police department, said the report.
The report suggested Hillsborough could align in one of five precincts in the county. Other municipalities in the precinct were suggested to be Manville, Montgomery, Millstone and Rocky Hill.
The report also suggested Hillsborough might also be asked to locate one of the five proposed precinct headquarters in its municipal building on South Branch Road.
Mayor Suraci and Committeman Doug Tomson met with Dr. Richard Celeste, co-chair of the study committee, before Tuesday night’s Township Committee meeting.
Municipalities were asked to respond by Aug. 1. Only a few had, said Freeholder Mark Caliguire this week, and few – perhaps just one — said they would participate further. Montgomery Township rejected the idea last week.
Mayor Suraci said he wanted to convene a public forum, but, at this point, there wasn’t going to be a countywide force. Possibly some lesser combinations of consolidation could happen, he said, but a smaller regional force would require a completely new study of costs and logistics.


“I think we should continue to look at any alternative that can potentially reduce our costs in town,” said Township Committeeman Frank DelCore. “If that means consolidation on a smaller scale, then we should definitely look at that.”
“It is disappointing that so many towns declined it, the best thing we can do now is try to do something regional, if that is possible,” said Committeeman Tomson.

In total the report projected county municipalities could save nearly $44 million over 10 years.
Assemblyman Jack Ciattarelli, a Hillsborough resident, said at the release of the report in April that would be a low estimate, with $70 million as a middle ground and $100 million as optimistic.
The figure stands in contrast to the $17.8 million a year savings that a consultant estimated in December 2010.
The assemblyman added that he thought it would be wrong to look at quantitative figures only, and ignore the qualitative side of improved service. Mr. Ciattarelli, who was a freeholder when the study was initiated, was tapped to head an overall financial subcommittee in November.
The final report differs from a preliminary one by consultant Thomas Banker, who suggested the county could be broken down into three precincts. The consultant also thought the number of sworn officers could be reduced to 541 from the 627 he counted in 2010; the final report says 606 is a better estimate.
The report says no layoffs would occur, and reductions in force would occur through attrition, estimated at 3 to 4 percent a year. Existing PBA contracts would be honored.
The final report held on to Mr. Banker’s suggestion to have civilians perform jobs that don’t require sworn officers, whenever possible.
A legal form of governance called a joint meeting would be formed between participating members, who would have to join for at least 10 years.