BORDENTOWN: Group vows to bring back fireworks

By David Kilby, Special Writer
   BORDENTOWN — Residents have rallied together to bring back the Fourth of July fireworks show, and they plan to host or co-host many community fundraising events to find the money.
   Representatives of The Foundation for Bordentown Traditions gave a presentation to the Bordentown Township Committee at its meeting Monday to discuss the logistics of future fundraising events.
   Chris Nunn, president of the foundation, said Bordentown hasn’t had fireworks since 2007, adding the township used to pay for the show but can no longer fit it in the budget.
   The foundation, which just formed in February, is an independent nonprofit organization and not officially affiliated with Bordentown Township or Bordentown City.
   Last month, it partnered with Bordentown City to host a car show with 15 cars that raised $3,000, Mr. Nunn said. At the show, the foundation sold sponsorships, signage and T-shirts. Portions of the proceeds went to the Rev. Jasper Daniels Summer Youth Program.
   The car show was Bordentown City Mayor James Lynch’s idea, Mr. Nunn added. Mayor Lynch reached out to Mr. Nunn and asked him to promote the event and split the revenue between the youth program and the Foundation for Bordentown Traditions.
   ”Since he also believed in our cause, it worked out well for both sides,” Mr. Nunn said.
   The foundation already is planning a Trenton Thunder game outing Aug. 20. Trenton Thunder will give $4 out of the $11 ticket to the foundation, explained Katy McGowen, a trustee of the foundation.
   ”We’re willing to work with the township to bring back events they want as well,” Mr. Nunn added, “as long as they’re beneficial to our cause, which is to bring back the fireworks show.”
   In the past, the show was in Northern Community Park, but the foundation plans to move it to Joe Lawrence Park, and the committee agreed.
   ”The logistics of North Community Park create problems should there be an emergency where people need to evacuate,” Mayor Karl Feltes said. “Joe Lawrence Park can better accommodate that activity.”
   The foundation is willing to work with Public Works in coordinating the annual haunted hayride Oct. 12 since many of the members of the foundation already have worked on the hayride as volunteers in past years.
   The foundation hopes to raise enough funds to bring the fireworks show back next year on the weekend before or after Independence Day, Mr. Nunn said to the committee.
   He said he hopes for the foundation to be “as involved in events as (the committee) will let us be and hand the money over to you.”
   In addition to the fireworks show, Mr. Nunn also had an idea for a softball tournament involving the local businesses in town “to bring people to town throughout the day.”
   He said ideally he would like to see several events spanning several days in several locations, culminating in the fireworks show at Joe Lawrence Park.
   To help coordinate potential fundraising events, Mr. Nunn asked the committee to appoint a liaison from the committee to the foundation and to give a written response of approval to hold the firework show at Joe Lawrence Park.
   The show will cost an estimated $30,000, which the foundation aims to raise without taxpayer help. To show its support, the committee made many suggestions on how to reach that number.
   ”I guarantee no stone will be left unturned,” Mr. Nunn said.
   Learn more and stay updated on the Foundation for Bordentown Traditions’ progress by visiting its Facebook group, which already has 298 members.