a70329060fe2297d27cb2d6de86add4f.jpg

FLORENCE: Explosion remains under investigation

By Amy Batista, Special Writer
   FLORENCE — It’s been two months since Fire Marshal Brian Richardson was severely injured in an explosion on Interstate 295.
   ”The investigation is still ongoing at this time,” said State Trooper Christopher Kay on July 31.
   The blast occurred on May 31.
   Fire Marshal Richardson was among seven Florence firefighters injured after a blaze blew open the back doors of a tractor-trailer, which then became fully engulfed in flames along the side of the highway, as previously reported in the Register-News. The firefighters had responded to the scene after a report came in that the truck, carrying produce, was on fire.
   ”We still need some more information,” Trooper Kay said.
   ”I have known Brian since he was in high school,” said Florence Mayor Craig Wilkie on Tuesday. “He’s a great guy.”
   The mayor continued, “I am just glad for the prayers from the community.”
   Mayor Wilkie also said that he was grateful that Mr. Richardson “is on the road to recovery.”
   Mr. Richardson is at home recovering “nicely from his injuries,” said Chief Keith Scully of the Florence Township Fire Department in a press release sent to the Register-News on Tuesday.
   ”We are all praying for a full and speedy recovery and for Brian to return to us at work,” Fire Chief Scully said.
   Six of the injured firefighters were treated and released from area hospitals the night of the explosion, as previously reported. However, Mr. Richardson’s injuries were severe and he remained in critical condition for several days.
   ”Four of the firefighters are back in service and have been since they have been checked out at the hospital the night of the incident,” Fire Chief Scully said.
   Battalion Chief Mullen and firefighter Paul Lemieux have also returned to work as both men were out on medical until recently, according to Fire Chief Scully.
   After the explosion, the Florence fire department placed donation jars at different businesses throughout the community for Mr. Richardson and his fellow firefighters. Locations included Florence Hardware, Debs Snack Shop, Rocco’s, Boyd’s Pharmacy, Mario and Franks, Bob’s Deli, and Roebling Town Market.
   ”Brian and the other firefighters still out were given monetary donations from the jars last night at our fire companies meeting, which they were all surprised about,” Fire Chief Scully said on July 17.
   ”The Florence Township Fire Department wishes to thank all of the Florence and Roebling businesses who supported our collection process for donations,” Fire Chief Scully said. “And to all of the wonderful citizens of Florence and Roebling who so generously donated to the Brian Richardson fund.”
   He continued, “We couldn’t have asked for a better community to serve.”
   He said that Florence firefighters and neighboring New Jersey fire departments have displayed the true meaning of “brotherhood” through this “horrific ordeal.”
   Donations for Mr. Richardson may be made to the Burlington County Professional Firefighters Association via the Sean Fund. The Sean Fund was established in 2001 by a Local 3091 Burlington County Professional Firefighters member to support firefighters in need of medical assistance.
   ”This fund was initially set up years ago to assist firefighters and their families in a time of need,” said Cliff Rickards, president of the IAFF Local 3091, on Tuesday. Mr. Anderson is a fire inspector in Willingboro.
   ”Our current fund is getting low as we have had many issues that have required our assistance with our members being injured and some having health issues which kept them from working,” Mr. Rickards said.
   Mr. Rickards encouraged everyone to participate in the organization’s upcoming events to support firefighters and their families in need.
   ”We need all the help we can get from everyone,” Mr. Rickards said.
Aug. 18
   A beef and beer benefit for Mr. Richardson will be held on Aug. 18 at the Hamilton Elks Lodge in Hamilton. Tickets are $25 per person and the event will run from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.
   For further information, contact Ron Mangone at 609-387-0755 or visit the Florence Township Fire Department’s website via www.ftfd40.org.
Aug. 20
   The Sean Fund benefit for all of the seven Florence firefighters injured in the May explosion will be held on Aug. 20 at Bungs Tavern in Florence. Tickets are $35 per person and the event will run from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.
   For information, visit www.ftfd40.org.
   Donations can be sent in care of the Burlington County Professional Firefighters Association Local at IAFF 3091, P.O. Box 478, Hainesport, NJ 08036.