MANVILLE: Embarrassed recreation director resigns

By Mary Ellen Day, Special Writer
   Longtime Manville Recreation Director Rich Armstrong gave his resignation, with two weeks’ notice, Monday in a meeting with Mayor Angelo Corradino, it was announced at the Borough Council meeting that night.
   ”Unfortunately, tonight I am bringing it up that I met with Rich Armstrong at 4:30 this afternoon, and he handed me his resignation,” the mayor said. “It is an unfortunate situation because Rich did a tremendous job for this borough. The programs that he instituted 17 years ago until now were phenomenal. For the small borough that we are, that was the one thing that we give back to our residents.”
   The mayor assured residents recreation programs will continue.
   ”There were some rumors going around that because Rich resigned that we were going to disband the Recreation Commission, which is far from the truth,” he said. “We just have to do some work and figure out how we are going to go about finishing it. I talked briefly with our council president (Sherri Lynn), who is in charge of policy, planning and personnel, and, hopefully, by the next meeting, we will have some recommendations.”
   Mr. Armstrong faced scrutiny from his behavior regarding drinking during a charity softball game on school property in May after photographs were posted on Facebook showing him with a beer and a cigarette in his hand. Drinking and smoking on school property are in violation of school district policies.
   The May 19 eight-team softball tournament was sponsored by the Manville Recreation Department and Municipal Alliance to raise money to put air conditioners in the schools.
   The director’s behavior has been a hot topic at council and Board of Education meetings.
   The issue surfaced at the Aug. 13 council meeting in a letter from the Board of Education to the mayor and council.
   Board of Education President Heidi Alles wrote, “Most unfortunately, the use of both alcohol and tobacco was observed during the course of the day as well as several vehicles parked on the grass of the property, all of which are clear violations of the Manville School District policy.”
   The violations were reported to Superintendent of Schools Dr. Johanna Ruberto the day they occurred, and Dr. Ruberto filed a report with the local police.
   The police investigated as did the school district, which reviewed security camera tapes.
   ”We are now certain that our policy was violated as initially reported,” Ms. Alles said.
   Mr. Corradino said to the Manville News the event was a “nonrecreation event that took place in May.”
   At a council meeting, former mayor Rudy Nowak asked if there was a cover-up of the event.
   John Paff, a Franklin Township (Somerset) man who is chairman of the Open Government Advocacy Project for the New Jersey Libertarian Party, sought and gained the police investigation report, which he posted on his blog.
   Mayor Corradino insisted the incident “was addressed and handled.”
   He said, “I did not say it was under investigation. I said it was addressed and handled. It was investigated, addressed and handled.”
   The mayor said later that Mr. Armstrong had been suspended without pay for one week.
   At a meeting, Mr. Nowak called the incident “an absolute disgrace” and said there were pictures on the Internet of Mr. Armstrong passed out in a lawn chair at the game.
   The mayor expressed chagrin.
   ”I thought he did a great job when he was our recreation director,” he said. “He put a ton of programs in the 17 years that he was here. I am sorry to see him go. I understand the circumstances of being badgered for one mistake, and it just wasn’t fair.”
   Mr. Armstrong could not be reached for comment. Mayor Corradino said he was on vacation.