Brunt of storm will come through the night
By Gene Robbins, Managing Editor
With wind picking up, some Hillsborough Township power lines and poles have come down as Hurricane Sandy looms offshore at about 5 p.m.
In a conference call, municipal officials said some wires have come down on streets like Michelle Drive, Beverly and Ivy and Surrey Lane. Police Chief Paul Kaminsky said three or four poles have also been reported down.
Officials expect the brunt of the storm to come in the middle of the night, between 8 p.m. Monday and 8 a.m. Tuesday.
No roads had been closed in the township, but a slight water blockage was reported on East Mountain Road, said Chief Kaminsky.
The JCP&L website was reporting 18 homes without power, Township Administrator Anthony Ferrera said. Township officials had a conference call with JCP&L earlier in the day, had one with PSE&G scheduled for 6:30 p.m. and a statewide conference with the governor at 8:30 p.m.
Chief Kaminsky said he has been told that the Millstone River is estimated to crest at 4 p.m. Tuesday at about 10 feet, which is approaching a moderate flood stage. He had no reports on the South Branch of the Raritan River. He said he was told a little after noon that three or four inches of rain were predicted.
”Right now, water is not an issue,” he said, with the greater concern with winds causing tree limbs to break and fall on power lines.
Chief Kaminsky reminded residents to respect barricaded roads and for drivers to avoid going around them to try to navigate flooded streets and roads.
Mayor Carl Suraci said utility companies have said they will not send repair crews to work in bucket equipment if winds go higher than 40 mph. That would mean longer time to make repairs and restore power, he said.
The township municipal complex will be closed again Tuesday, except for the emergency shelter, which was opened at 1 p.m. today. A second shelter site at Woods Road firehouse is ready, if it becomes necessary.
The township has received extra cots, pillows and generators from the county and is ready in a trailer to be deployed, if needed.
John Sheridan, emergency management coordinator, said the township ahs been having technical difficulties with 1610 AM radio channel to broadcast alerts. However, the township has sent out extra e-mail bulletins to the more than 4,000 accounts, and is using Twitter, Nixle and Channel 29 on cable TV to send bulletins.
Schools Superintendent Jorden Schiff said it was too early to make a decision whether schools would be closed or open late on Wednesday. He said all buildings currently had electricity and had suffered no damage.

