By Gene Robbins, Managing Editor
”So far, so good” said Hillsborough Township officials on Monday morning in regards to Hurricane Sandy’s effect on the township.
No roads had been blocked off as of 10 a.m., but barricades were in place in places that historically flood, and two police vehicles were filled with cones and more barricades to be deployed as necessary, said Police Chief Paul Kaminsky.
Areas that normally flood include Duke’s Parkway, Sunnymead Road, Amwell and Blackpoint roads and Millstone River Road.
The township had prepared an emergency shelter for people displaced by the storm; it was to open at 1 p.m. An initial 12 cots were in place Monday morning, but more could be set up quickly, if needed.
Hillsborough schools were closed Monday and will be shuttered Tuesday in anticipation of Hurricane Sandy. All school activities have been canceled.
Hillsborough Township Committee Candidates’ Night, scheduled for tonight, Monday, has been moved to Friday, Nov. 2, at 7 p.m. in the Auten Road Intermediate School cafeteria.
In addition to rain. wind that could bring down branches and trees on power lines and block roads could be the added element in any storm expected to sweep through central New Jersey through Tuesday.
Public works crews used a chain saw Saturday to remove a tree that had fallen across Neshanic Creek along Montgomery Road in the western part of the township. It had the potential to capture more debris and cause water to back up, said officials.
John Sheridan, emergency management coordinator, said the most significant addition to emergency planning since the August 2011 Hurricane Irene flood was the installation of poles indicating the height of flooded water in areas that normally flood.
The poles give rescue and fire companies an idea of the depth of the water, which would determine how and what type of vehicle could be used in any rescue attempt, said Mr. Wagner.
On Saturday citizen Community Emergency Management Response team members passed out notices to residents in areas that normally flood. The warnings reminded residents they were in potential danger and advised them to evacuate or take precautions.
Township officials participated in conference call with Gov. Chris Christie and his staff twice on Sunday.
Township officials have also been in touch with JCP&L and PSE&G officials. Residents who have power outages should contact the utilities. The contact for JCP&L, which covers about one-fourth of the township from the Sourland Mountain westward, is 1-888-LIGHTSS.
If TV is available, tune to Channel 29 for road closings and other bulletins.
Hillsborough and Manville know what to expect from a lot of rain following the Hurricane Irene storms of August 2011, which brought swelling rivers over their banks.
But winds of up to 75 mph would be the added dimension.
Hillsborough’s emergency management team met twice on Friday and planned a conference call at about 5 p.m. Monday, said Township Administrator Anthony Ferrera, who was coordinating emergency activity for the first time since being appointed in August.
A special edition of the township’s e-mail newsletter, which goes to 4,000 accounts was being prepared for midday Monday delivery.
In Friday’s newsletter, Mayor Carl Suraci urged all Hillsborough residents to prepare for the approaching storm “and to keep in mind that being prepared is the key to safety in any emergency situation.” He urged all residents to be “calm, informed and prepared” for the expected heavy rains, flooding, impassable roads, downed trees, high winds and power outages.
Evacuation was recommended for people who live in a flood-prone area, which would be along the Millstone River or lower lying areas along the South Branch of the Raritan and Raritan rivers.
If power is out, roads are flooded and dangerous conditions ensue, it may not be possible for a rescue operation to reach you, the township e-letter said.
All five candidates on the ballot for Township Committee – Greg Burchette, Jim Farley, Mike Goldberg, Judd Mandell, and Carl Suraci – had agreed to participate in the student-run debate Monday. School officials have been working with the candidates to insure full participation on Friday.
The intention is to broadcast the video of Candidates’ Night on Channel 27 and the school district website on Monday and Tuesday, Nov. 5 and 6.
Questions can be addressed to Matthew A. Mingle, Supervisor of Social Studies/REACH at [email protected] or 908-431-6600 x2011.
Municipal court sessions for Hillsborough and Montgomery townships have been canceled for Monday and Tuesday. Both courts meet in the Hillsborough Township Municipal Building.
Hillsborough residents can receive up-to-date Nixle police and township information affecting your neighborhood bye-mail, text message and Twitter. To register, go to hillsboroughpolice.org.
Somerset County senior centers will be closed both Monday and Tuesday.
Meals on Wheels will not be delivered Monday and Tuesday, Oct. 29 and 30. Clients are asked to use the shelf-stable meals provided earlier.
Recycling pickups are cancelled for Tuesday in Hillsborough and Millstone. All county transportation services, except for the transport of dialysis patients, will be suspended on Monday. For information call the Transportation Division’s toll-free number at 1-800-246-0527.
To receive free email or text-message alerts from Somerset County about other storm-related impacts, visit https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/NJSOMER/subscriber/newSuperior Court offices in Somerville, which are under the state’s jurisdiction, also are closed Monday.

