y Philip Sean Curran, Staff Writer
William Sword Jr. was committed to living the last 10 years of his life as a though they were a gift from God, a man that friends said this week was devoted to his family, his church and his community.
Mr. Sword, who nearly died when a man attacked him in 2003, was killed Monday during Hurricane Sandy when a tree fell on him in the driveway of his home on the Great Road, authorities said.
He was 61.
Mr. Sword was using a power saw as he was clearing debris around 8:30 p.m., township police said. He was found underneath the tree, as first-responders from the Princeton First Aid & Rescue Squad tried to save his life. He was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.
A memorial service is scheduled for Saturday at 11 a.m. at Nassau Presbyterian Church, where Mr. Sword was a lifelong member and later an elder.
“I rarely met somebody who was dedicated to live every day to the fullest,” said the Rev. David A. Davis, pastor of Nassau Presbyterian.
The Rev. Davis spoke of Mr. Sword’s “care for others,” how he was “passionate about his family” and “loved this community.”
He recalled seeing Mr. Sword for the last time at church on Sunday, how Mr. Sword had made a quick change of clothes from preparing his house for the storm.
Mr. Sword, a lifelong Princeton resident, graduated from Princeton University in 1976. He was the managing director of Wm.Sword & Co. Inc., an investment banking company on Chambers Street that his late father had started.
“Bill was one of the most righteous people I ever met,” said Daniel B. Rowe, the other managing director of the company.
Away from work, he served on the advisory board of PFARS.
“His loss is obviously very tragic,” said Squad President Peter Simon on Thursday.
This was the second tragedy PFARS has had to deal with; last year, during Tropical Storm Irene in August, squad member, Michael Kenwood died during an attempted water rescue.
Mr. Simon said many squad members are “speechless” dealing with yet another storm-related death of someone connected to the squad.
Mr. Sword also coached Princeton Little League baseball, volunteered with Habitat for Humanity and served on the board of Centurion Ministries, which helps wrongfully convicted felons in their legal battles.
Township Mayor Chad Goerner on Wednesday called Mr. Sword’s death “a tremendous loss and tragedy.”
Mr. Sword stayed involved with his alma mater as a board member of the Ivy Club, the university’s James Madison Program and the basketball program.
Mr. Sword was attacked in October 2003 by a man who stabbed him at his home.
The Rev. Davis said Mr. Sword was determined to live these last 10 years of his life as though they were a “gift from God.”
He is survived by his wife of 32 years, Martha, and their three children, Gretchen, Hope and Will; mother, Sally; brother Richard of Princeton; and sisters Molly McDonough of Pennington and Sarah Lazarus of Concord, Mass.
In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that donations be made to PFARS, Centurion Ministries or the Princeton Community Foundation.

