By Charles W. Kim, Managing Editor
SOUTH BRUNSWICK – Officials, businesses and organizations are working to restore the community after Hurricane Sandy brought "major damage" to the township and leaving most residents in the dark this week.
"It was crazy," Muno Patel, owner of the Stop & Go convenience store on Allston Road said. "We were the only store open between Princeton and New Brunswick."
Sgt. Jim Ryan said in a press release on Tuesday night that police had responded to more than 500 calls and that most roads were "impassible."
Around 20 utility poles came down on Route 130 looking like a scene from a disaster film.
East-west travel became impossible due to the fallen trees blocking the roads and the loss of traffic signals.
Route 1 was sporadically closed during the storm and the intersections were blocked by police cones not allowing cross traffic. Some of the roads had been reopened by Thursday, according to police, and power had been restored to some sections of town.
Township spokesman Ron Schmalz said Thursday that some voting districts may have to be moved for Tuesday’s elections, but that is contingent on how quickly Public Service Electric and Gas (PSE&G) can restore power.
The township opened the senior Center on Route 522 as a shelter Tuesday and it was quickly filled to a capacity of more than 20 people, police said.
The South Brunswick Family YMCA has opened its doors to provide showers and a "charging station" to residents, Executive Director Tom Libassi said in a press release Thursday.
The South Brunswick Public Library is also open for residents to charge electronic items and to use the Internet, according to police.
Public schools were closed during the week and would also close on Friday, police said.
“Eight of the schools are without power, one roof was blown off a temporary classroom, a baseball dugout and shed were destroyed by high winds, and numerous trees were knocked down”, said Schools Superintendent Dr. McCartney. “It is my desire to bring the students back to school as soon as possible, but only when we can ensure their safety.”
He said he will update residents on what the district plans to do for next week.
The township also suspended Halloween activities and waste pick ups on Wednesday.
Officials also said Thursday that the drinking water supply in the township is safe.
Traveling around the community on Tuesday displayed the devastation with tree branches in almost every Kendall Park yard and entire trees pulled up by their roots, taking chunks of sidewalks with them.
Albert L. Lang, 86, of 182 Kendall Road awoke Tuesday to find two trees in the front of his home upended and wedged in the branches of a third tree farther back on his front yard.
“My house wasn’t touched at all,” Mr. Lang said. “I am very fortunate in that respect.”
Many other homes in that section of the township were not as fortunate, with large trees landing on their roofs.
One tree that fell near 108 New Road brought down wires and started a fire in the home.
Firefighters on the scene said that the residents were able to evacuate the home and that it suffered significant damage.
One fireman on the scene used a heat sensor to constantly check in the fallen wires were “live.”
The lack of electricity has also caused long lines for gasoline at the few stations that are open.

