9f4aa76482493c1c11d8a6f3c11cc2b9.jpg

EAST WINDSOR: Township recovers from superstorm

By Jen Samuel, Managing Editor
EAST WINDSOR —Superstorm Sandy left many residents in the dark for more than a week.
According to Mayor Janice Mironov, at least 90 percent of the township was without power after Hurricane Sandy.
While there were a few pockets of East Windsor with power, "most of the town, however, did lose power as a result of the storm conditions," Mayor Mironov told the Herald on Tuesday, Nov. 6.
The storm hit land 5 miles shy of Atlantic City at 8 p.m. Oct. 29.
More than 27,000 people live in East Windsor.
Superstorm Sandy brought to New Jersey sustained winds up to 80 mph as a post-tropical cyclone, bringing with it a massive surge that laid waste upon coastal shores. Winds as high as 70 mph snapped trees in half throughout East Windsor, which fell on power lines from township streets and state routes to neighbor roads and lanes.
In the aftermath of Sandy, there was a state of emergency issued Tuesday, Oct. 30, restricting travel in the township.
One of the few places that never lost power was the East Windsor Volunteer Fire Company No. 2 station on Twin Rivers Drive. It became a place for residents to stay warm in the aftermath of the storm. Free water was provided to people, and there also was a battery charging station for cell phones and electronic devices.
Mayor Mironov said, "We are grateful to all our volunteers and first responders," adding she would like to express her personal gratitude to Fire Co. No. 2.
"Everything we asked," the mayor said, "they stepped up. They were really wonderful."
East Windsor Volunteer Fire Co. 1 and the police station lost power as a result of Sandy and remained online using generators, according to the mayor.
Although the power outages were widespread, "We were fortunate we had no deaths," the mayor said.
She also thanked Public Works for its efforts to clean up debris.
Nov. 1, power was restored to the township municipal building. Township offices reopened Nov. 2 for the first time since the storm.
Most major roads in East Windsor were reopened by Nov. 1, however, downed poles and wires kept portions of several roads closed, including Conover Road between Route 130 and Woods Road; Dorchester Drive between both Exeter Road intersections; and Windsor-Perrineville and Old York roads, south of the New Jersey Turnpike at Peddie golf course.
Several traffic lights remained out along Route 571 in West Windsor and East Windsor on Nov. 5. That night, 379 customers remained without power in East Windsor.
Over the weekend, Jersey Central Power and Light was unable to restore power to a single customer in East Windsor or Hightstown on Saturday, Nov. 3, despite releasing estimates to the governor’s office projecting that more than 1,200 customers would have power restoration by Sunday.
JCP&L’s initial weekend estimate said 447 customers would have power back Nov. 3, and 814 customers would have power back Nov. 4.
That Sunday, "We have been aggressive in attempting to gain specific information directly from JCP&L to pass on to our residents," township officials said through an e-news alert to residents. "We will continue throughout the day."
Still, by late Monday, power was restored to many additional customers throughout East Windsor.
The Senior Center reopened its doors Nov. 6. It previously had remained closed since the day of the storm.
This Wednesday, Nov. 7, a 5 p.m. alert from East Windsor Township said that approximately six JCP&L customers remained without power in town. The alert said officials were seeking to identify all residents who remained without power.
The alert asked residents who remained without power or who were aware of homes without power to call 609-443-4000, ext. 214, with information.
"This will assist us in attempting to help remaining residents without power," the East Windsor e-news alert said.
Nov. 1, the East Windsor Police Department said that the township was continuing in its recovery from the effects of Hurricane Sandy.
"The township experienced widespread power outages as well as numerous road closures as a result of wind damage to trees and power poles," stated a Police Department press release.
Resulting from Sandy, police said there was one motor vehicle accident with minor injuries reported 2:54 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 31.
Police said two vehicles entered the intersection of routes 33 and 130, which, due to the power loss, had no traffic signal.
One of the drivers, who attempted to cross Route 130 on Route 33, was transported to RWJ Hamilton Hospital with a complaint of neck and back pain, police said.
East Windsor police said last week that while there were no other storm-related injuries known, the reporting of such incidents may be delayed due to area power outages.
All East Windsor Regional School District schools were closed from Oct. 29 to Nov. 2.
However, classes resumed this past Monday with modifications to the normal daily schedule for high and middle school students. These students had classes at the high school with half-day schedules. Elementary school students resumed classes with normal schedules.
Nov. 4, "Because some walkways are unsafe, it is recommended that parents try to arrange transporting their students to Kreps, and then the students will be driven by bus to the high school," said Superintendent Edward Forsthoffer of East Windsor Regional School District. "If a student does walk to the middle school, please be alert and avoid any fallen trees, branches or wires."
Melvin H. Kreps Middle School remained without power the longest.
"Power has been restored to all of our schools," Mr. Forsthoffer said Monday after the middle school came back online.
Mayor Mironov said people should give thought to how they communicate during an emergency or disaster. She encouraged residents to sign up for e-news alerts from the township as well as its reverse 911 calling system. She also suggested that out-of-town or state friends and family sign up for the alerts.