HIGHTSTOWN: After Sandy, Borough Hall remains hot topic

By Christina Whittington, Special Writer
   HIGHTSTOWN — The Borough Council met on Monday.
   ”We dodged a big bullet,” said Business Administrator Michael Theokas of Superstorm Sandy.
   Borough Council members and Mayor Steven Kirson also reflected on the aftermath of the historic storm, which hit on Oct. 29.
   The storm was dubbed Frankenstorm as it made landfall days before Halloween. It caused more than 2,000 borough customers to lose power. A majority of those impacted had power restored by Nov. 1. As of Nov. 7, however, 25 borough customers were still without power.
   Frustrated by Jersey Central Power & Light’s performance in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, Councilman Robert Thibault introduced Resolution 2012-264, which called for the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities to investigate JCP&L’s performance in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.
   Said Mayor Kirson, “I think there has to be some accountability by utility companies . . . We would like to see some performance.”
   The resolution cited the much higher level of communication from other public utilities and businesses including PSE&G, Comcast and Verizon, calling out JCP&L’s failure to provide accurate, specific and frequent information concerning power restoration.
   The resolution passed 5-1, with Council President Lawrence Quattrone voting no.
   ”I think if you really look around New Jersey, they performed very well,” Mr. Quattrone said.
   Borough council also unanimously approved Resolution 2012-263, which waived permit fees for flood damages from the storm.
   In the days before Hurricane Sandy’s arrival, the Public Works Department as well as many other borough employees and volunteers prepared for the wrath of the super stormSandbags and jersey barriers were placed around the Water Treatment Plant, which was inundated with floodwaters from Hurricane Irene in 2011. Sandbags were also distributed to downtown businesses. Peddie School students assisted with the filling of the sandbags.
   ”The public employees did so much in preparation before the hurricane, during and after,” said Councilwoman Lynne Woods. “I think its phenomenal how prepared we were.”
   In other news, Borough Hall was once again on the agenda Monday night.
   Borough Hall was significantly damaged by the floodwaters from Peddie Lake when Irene roared through Hightstown at the end of August last year. The municipal offices have since moved to the Public Works building on Bank Street.
   ”There has been a letter provided by the local union for consideration to be given to find a better temporary home for the employees,” Mayor Kirson said.
   ”I think that we as a council have from the beginning acknowledged the conditions our borough employees have been working under,” Ms. Woods said.
   Lexington Insurance has agreed to pick up the cost of the interim housing of borough administrative employees, as previously reported.
   Also discussed was Resolution 2012-229, a measure previously adopted by the council stating its intent to have Borough Hall administrative offices and the Police Department located downtown.
   As previously reported, the council referred the resolution to the Planning Board because it was considered a capital improvement project. However, the planners rejected the Borough Council’s resolution in a 6-3 vote, citing that the site of the former Borough Hall sits in a flood zone.
   The Planning Board is preparing to send the council a formal letter explaining its rejection of Resolution 2012-229.
   Monday, Councilman Thibault presented a draft letter in response to the Planning Board. The letter stated the council’s intent to move forward with the plan to restore or reuse the current site of Borough Hall. This draft will be used to form a resolution supporting the council’s decisions to proceed.
   Mayor Kirson said that more discussion on Borough Hall would take place at the Nov. 19 council meeting.
   During public comment, Planning Board member Rick Pratt said, “You’ve ignored the Planning Board, Downtown Hightstown and actual weather circumstances to rebuild Borough Hall back in the danger zone. Are you serious?”
   ”Stop this idiocy and go rent a place and put your employees somewhere,” borough resident Eugene Sarafin, a former councilman.
   ”I want to commend the council members on the time and efforts invested in trying to bring information to the public regarding the options for resolving the issue of the municipal building,” said Hightstown resident Kathleen Gravely said. “You have worked tirelessly to present options with financial data for various sites and I applaud you for your efforts. On the other hand it is appalling to sit here and watch the dissention and outright animosities expressed by others.”
   The next Borough Council meeting is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Nov. 19.