By Charles W. Kim, Managing Editor
MONROE — A township man that stabbed his neighbor to death in 2010 will spend the next 30 years behind bars before being eligible for parole.
Warren Burkey, 34, was sentenced Nov. 27 in New Brunswick by Superior Court Judge Michael A. Toto, according to a press release from the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office.
Mr. Burkey pleaded guilty last month to the May 2010 slaying of neighbor Theresa Wysokowski, 48, in her Perrineville home on May 6.
Mr. Burkey, who entered his plea Oct. 5, was a warehouse worker at the time of the killing and lived next door to the victim, Prosecutor’s Office Spokesman James O’Neill said.
He had been renting a room in the house next door, which was owned by the victim’s mother, for about a month prior to the slaying, Mr. O’Neill said.
According to police, Mr. Burkey entered Ms. Wysokowski’s 1654 Perrineville Road home the night of May 6, 2010 while the victim’s husband worked the third shift at a company in Freehold.
He took two knives from the kitchen and stabbed the woman repeatedly, according to Mr. O’Neill.
Police were called to Ms. Wysokowski’s house at 5:43 a.m. May 6 after receiving a 911 call. They arrived at around 6 a.m. and pronounced Ms. Wysokowski dead at the scene.
Investigators apprehended Mr. Burkey outside of his 1656 Perrineville Road residence 15 minutes later.
Mr. Burkey had been incarcerated at the Middlesex County Adult Correction Center in North Brunswick on $3 million bail since the killing.

