By Charles W. Kim, Managing Editor
Incumbent Barry Nathanson will keep his seat on the Board of Education.
According to an update on the provisional ballots cast in this year’s election by the Middlesex County Clerk late Tuesday, Mr. Nathanson won the third seat on the board ahead of challenger Azra Baig by 122 votes, 4,253-4,131.
”I want to thank the people who voted for me,” Mr. Nathanson said Tuesday night after learning the results. “I will continue to work to put the kids first in South Brunswick and to work for everyone, including those who did not vote for me.”
In the Nov. 6 polling, incumbent Dr. Stephen Parker collected the most votes with 5,211, followed by Kendall Park resident Peter St. Vincent with 4,562 votes.
Challenger Ray Kuehner rounded out the field with 3,566 votes.
Mr. Nathanson and newcomer Ms. Baig were locked in a battle for the third seat, separated by just 115 votes the night of the election with the county still needing to count a larger than normal number of provisional ballots.
The state had extended the time for those impacted by Hurricane Sandy to cast their ballots and then extended the certification deadline by the counties until Tuesday, according to officials.
Middlesex County Clerk Elaine Flynn said the updated numbers would be published on the county’s website Wednesday.
Ms. Baig said she was disappointed in the result, but thanked all those that supported her and also said she enjoyed campaigning and meeting people in the township.
Mr. Nathanson and Mr. Parker were the only two incumbents running in this election, the first school board election to be held in November.
The third seat, occupied by Elizabeth Chang until earlier this year when she resigned, was given to former board member Martin Abschutz.
Mr. Abschutz said that he did not plan to run for the post once appointed to the panel earlier this year.

