By Charles W. Kim, Managing Editor
A township resident was reportedly scammed out of $1,800 last week after getting a phone call saying his son was kidnapped, according to police.
According to police, the unidentified resident was called last Thursday on his cell phone with the caller saying that his son was involved in an accident.
The caller said the son was injured and in need of medical treatment, but was being held until the resident wired them money to pay for vehicle damages incurred in the accident.
The man on the phone claimed that he would take the resident’s son to the nearest hospital after he was paid, according to police.
Police said the man also threatened to kill the son if his demand for payment was not completed.
The resident was on the phone for more than an hour with the caller until he was able to send the money through Western Union, according to police.
After sending the money, the resident was instructed to go to a hospital in New Brunswick where he would be reunited with his son.
Police said the caller ended the call after the resident arrived at the hospital only to find out that his son was not there.
He finally called his son’s cell phone and discovered there had not been an accident and that his son was fine.
The incident is one of several taking place throughout the state in recent months, and all of the calls appear to be coming from the same area code in Puerto Rico, according to police.
In most of the cases, the caller demands $1,800 to free the “kidnapped” relative.
Police are asking residents to be wary of this scam and to report any similar activity immediately.

