BORDENTOWN TOWNSHIP: Public Works expansion plans modified

By David Kily, Special Writer
   BORDENTOWN TOWNSHIP — Residents showed overall satisfaction with the slight modifications made to the Public Works expansion project, which the Township Committee approved Feb. 11.
   After a public hearing Jan. 28, residents had an overall interest in the project —with a few minor concerns.
   As a result, the township modified its original plans for the expansion project by moving the planned location of the fuel pumps further away from nearby houses. Also a proposed Dumpster for garbage was eliminated from the plans. There will be bins for recycling.
   A buffer with evergreen trees also will be planted at a height of 7 feet and grow to 15 feet, said Dean Buhrer, Public Works director.
   The expanded facility, which would take up the former National Rent-a-Fence lot on Crosswicks Road, is set to provide residents with a recycling center, a car impound, containers for storm debris and vegetation, a new fueling station and a large garage for Public Works equipment that can hold two tractor-trailers. A used book drop-off also is also a possibility for the 3.6-acre site.
   The Register-News previously reported the facility expansion would cost residents $18 a year. However, Mayor Jim Cann said the expanded facility would cost average taxpaying residents specifically $17.95 annually only if the facility generated no income. He also clarified that since even a conservative estimate of the facility’s projected income would be approximately $30,000 a year — the new facility wouldn’t cost anything to taxpayers.
   The project, which should be finished by the end of the summer, is estimated to cost $2.3 million. According to officials, the cost would be offset by the income from the car impound and cost savings from tipping fees — costs to bring items to an outside recycling facility.
   Committeeman John Moynihan continued to voice his disapproval of the project being conducted at this time, saying he believed turning the property into a municipal facility would remove a commercial ratable from the township’s continuously declining database. He suggested putting the decision into the taxpayers’ hands through a ballot referendum.
   The taxpayers at the meeting at least, most of whom had concerns due to their houses’ close vicinity to the proposed facility, had no further objections to the project now that the modifications to the plans have been made.
   ”My original concern was where the gas pump was being located, which they moved,” said Scott Rauenbuhler, who lives on Matthew Court adjacent to the property of the planned expansion project.
   He and his wife, Eileen Rauenbuhler, also mentioned their satisfaction with the improved buffer.
   ”All of the community’s concerns were really addressed,” Mr. Rauenbuhler said.
   His wife said she no longer would spend time in line dropping off old TVs at the Burlington County Resource Recovery Facility.
   ”I’m going to enjoy the recycle center,” Ms. Rauenbuhler said.