By Amy Batista, Special Writer
FLORENCE — One resident advocated a gun control measure last week at the Township Council meeting.
Feb. 6, citing Sandy Hook and rising gun violence across America, resident John Lauricella addressed the national hot topic — guns — when he asked the council to consider implementing a gun buyback program.
Police Chief Alvin Scully told the Register-News on Wednesday, “We have not had any homicides where a gun caused the death in the last 10 years.”
The Florence police chief recalled the last gun crime occurred last fall when police investigated stolen guns that were reportedly being sold in the area. In the late spring of 2011, police arrested two people after they were discovered randomly firing shots in the 600 block of West Third Street.
Recently, New Jersey Attorney General Jeffrey Chiesa announced the collection of more than 2,600 guns from Mercer County residents during a state-sponsored gun buyback event held at two churches in Trenton on Jan. 25 and Jan. 26.
Camden took part in a similar state-sponsored program in December. People who turned in their guns through the “no questions asked” buyback were paid up to $250 per weapon.
”Imagine if every community in the state of New Jersey did that — how many thousands of guns we could take of the streets?” Mr. Lauricella asked the Florence council. “I would just like to see (members) become proactive on this matter rather than silent.”
According to the Uniform Crime Report for Florence Township, a total of 137 crimes were reported in 2011; 20 of which were violent crimes; there were four robberies; and 16 aggravated assaults. The report is not complete yet for 2012.
Even if the program only removed a few “big guns” from Florence Township, Mr. Lauricella said, “It’s a step in the right direction.”
”Florence Township has never participated in a program like this,” Chief Scully said Feb. 11.
He emphasized a degree of research and planning was quintessential moving forward.
”We need to try to determine what type of costs the township would incur and how successful would the program be in getting the type of weapons that would be targeted,” Chief Scully told the Register-News.
At the council meeting, Mayor Craig Wilkie said that he would continue to discuss the matter with the police chief as well as the Burlington County prosecutor, Robert Bernardi, while learning more about how the “whole process works.”
”This is still in the fact-finding stage,” Chief Scully said.
In January, while addressing gun violence, President Barack Obama said, “We may not be able to prevent every senseless act of violence in this country, if there is even one thing we can do to reduce it — if even one life can be saved — we’ve got an obligation to try.”
In other news, resident Joe Kostrub questioned Florence government’s role in snow removal from township sidewalks.
Township Administrator Richard Brook said it has been a difficult topic over the years.
Mr. Brook encouraged residents to help one another when it comes to the sidewalks of senior citizens or those in need of a lending hand.
In other news, the township’s former engineer, R. Louis Gallagher, has died.
The council took a moment at the beginning of its meeting to honor Mr. Gallagher with a moment of silence.
According to an email from Township Clerk Joy Weiler, Mr. Gallagher died Feb. 3.
Mayor Wilkie also discussed several Florence happenings, including an upcoming dinner and a recent federal grant for firefighting equipment.
He also thanked the town for supporting him recently during an emotional time in his life — the death of his mother.
”It was appreciated,” Mayor Wilkie said of the support.
His mother, Leatrice M. Wilkie, died Jan. 15 at Helene Fuld Medical Center in Trenton. She was the wife of former mayor Howard Kenneth Wilkie.
As for local firefighters, Mayor Wilkie said the Fire Department is hosting its annual dinner Feb. 23.
He said the department received a grant for more than $37,000 for infrared heat detectors from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
”It was a nice little thing that came in through the federal government,” the mayor stated, adding, otherwise, the expense would have been a local one.
Also of note, Mr. Brook said the 2013 draft budget had been completed. It is scheduled to be introduced March 7.
Mayor Wilkie reminded the Florence community that there is a police swearing-in ceremony for Chief Scully and Capt. Brian Boldizar on Feb. 20 during the Florence Township Council meeting at 8 p.m.

