HIGHTSTOWN: Temporary police station has many code violations

By Amy Batista, Special Writer

‘The state law does not give temporary exemption to the violations that we are in — the lack of cells, the lack of proper proceeding and secure rooms and security.’ – James LeTellie, Hightstown police director
   HIGHTSTOWN — Eighteen months since Hurricane Irene struck the downtown as a tropical storm the Borough Hall complex at 148 N. Main St. has remained closed.
   The police station, which was part of the complex, was destroyed by the floodwaters of Irene as well. The department relocated after the storm to rented space at 415 Mercer St., known as the Lucas property.
   Police Director James LeTellier went on record at the Feb. 15 special council meeting regarding violations the Police Department is facing at the moment.
   ”Just to put something on the record,” Mr. LeTellier said, “the state law does not give temporary exemption to the violations that we are in — the lack of cells, the lack of proper proceeding and secure rooms and security. I won’t get into some of the security issues we have there, but whatever you do, the modifications have to be made.”
   Council members voted down a measure presented by Hightstown Mayor Steven Kirson at last week’s meeting, calling for the authorization to explore relocating the town’s administrative offices to additional space at 415 Mercer St.
   The majority of the council continued to move ahead with its plans to bring two modular facilities — one for administrative offices and another for the Police Department — to Hightstown.
   The majority of the council approved a measure in the fall resolving to rebuild Borough Hall downtown at its current location. Council President Larry Quattrone voted against it.
   ”So then (the) state modifications can impede everything else we have,” Councilwoman Selena Bibens said Feb. 15 in response to the police director’s statement. “We have to get out of there.”
   However, Borough Administrator Michael Theokas told the Herald on Feb. 25, “The borough has not been cited.”
   Borough Hall project manager Dawson Bloom, of Roberts Engineering Group, is working with the police director on what the needs for the Police Department are, according to Mr. Theokas.
   Lexington Insurance has sent the borough an estimate of $1.9 million to rebuild or refurbish the Borough Hall, damaged in the destruction caused by Hurricane Irene. Temporary facilities for employees is part of the borough’s claim with Lexington.
   For 18 months, municipal workers have been working out of tight quarters inside the Public Works building.
   ”More information on the temporary and permanent location and structure of our Police Department is forthcoming in future meetings,” Mr. Thoeokas said.
   At last Tuesday’s council meeting, members, in a 4-2 vote, introduced an ordinance authorizing the borough to lease the properties behind the Ely House to place two modular structures for municipal staff and police. Mr. Quattrone and Councilwoman Susan Bluth voted against the lease measure.
   A public hearing and adoption on the lease ordinance is scheduled for Monday.
   The properties are along Bank and Mechanic streets near the closed Borough Hall.
   At the Feb. 15 special meeting on Borough Hall, some council members questioned the Mercer Street operational space being used by the Police Department.
   Councilwoman Gail Doran said the Police Department is “not functioning there and cannot continue to function there the way it is.”
   ”They are in violation of state law,” Councilman Robert Thibault said.
   ”OK. And that came about this morning?” Ms. Bibens questioned.
   As for the crowded conditions of municipal employees working in the Public Works building, “You know what, we are lucky that OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) is not there yet,” Ms. Bibens said.
   ”We are very lucky for what we have been doing for the past 18 months,” Ms. Bibens added. “I’m sorry, but enough is enough.”
   ”Either you are going to have to go to modular facility or you are going to have to add onto that facility,” Mr. LeTellier said. “You are in violation of the Department of Corrections, you are in violation of the attorney general guidelines, you’re in violation of a number of other issues and just lack of security issues that have to be addressed.”
   ”I hear everything that you are saying,” said Carmela Roberts, borough engineer as well as project engineer for Borough Hall. “You will have all the pieces that are required. It will meet all the department’s recommendations or requirements.”
   ”Either you get the modulars that are going to come, and, yes, we can work in a little less space or you keep us up there and make the renovations to the space, but either way, push or shove, something has to be done,” Mr. LeTellier said.
   At last Tuesday’s council meeting, further concerns regarding the conditions of the Lucas property were raised by some council.
   According to Mr. Thibault, the Lucas property has “environmental problems” pointing to “groundwater contamination.”
   According to Ms. Roberts, in November, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, found that there was groundwater contamination of benzene, ethylbenzene and toluene, but no soil contamination.
   According to Ms. Roberts, the contamination is the responsibility of JCP&L.
Managing editor Jen Samuel contributed to this report.