By Gene Robbins, Managing Editor
HILLSBO High school students rallied en masse at Monday night’s Hillsborough Board of Education meeting to plead for reinstatement of a social studies teacher who was suspended last Thursday.
The teacher, whose name was slipped by several students, is Jeffrey Kampf, a tenured teacher noted for his engagement of students in a genocide/Holocaust class.
A dozen students and at least five parents praised Mr. Kampf as an enthusiastic teacher who animated students to share opinions and join the discussion. In addition, they praised his personal interest in students, which boosted self-esteem.
Alex Duffy, a senior, said Mr. Kampf could get anyone involved; make them want to come to class, pay attention, do the work and participate.
”Every lesson he taught, he had a way to connect with students,” he said.
Classmate Aman Thakker chastised the board for telling the students nothing about why the teacher had been suspended or how long he would be out of school.
Isabella Santa Maria, a senior, said she initially found Mr. Kampf’s classroom style unorthodox, but she understood over time.
”I love this man,” she said. “He’s my favorite teacher. I’ve never had such an amazing, wonderful teacher.”
She also praised him for connecting personally and treating her “like an equal.”
John Kral, a senior, said Mr. Kampf “not only cares about what he is teaching, but believes what he does can change the world.”
With a substitute taking his place, students were learning nothing, he said.
A few parents supported their children’s word for the value of the teacher.
Suzanne Kral said the passion shown by students “speaks volumes to me” and wondered how a course devised by Mr. Kampf could continue with someone else.
A parent chaperone on school trips, Rick Santa Maria, said he had seen Mr. Kampf engage a South Korean official and an Illinois state politician in a discussion with the students while touring monuments in the nation’s capital.
Mr. Kampf led trips to the Genocide/Holocaust Memorial in Washington, D.C., as part of his course.
The new assistant superintendent for personnel, Guy Whitlock, said the board could not discuss — or even confirm the identity — of the suspended teacher because it was a personnel action covered under privacy concerns for the employee.
After most students and parents had left, the board discussed an agenda item endorsing the superintendent’s act to suspend.
Five of the nine members abstained, but the motion carried, 3-1. Thuy Anh Le voted no, and Greg Gillette, Christopher Pulsifer and Thomas Kinst said yes.
The vote by less than a quorum drew quizzical looks from board members and administrators uncertain if the motion carried with only four members saying yes or no.
Ms. Le said she “had tried to connect the dots,” but had gotten more information that night from students than she had gleaned from information from the board office.
”I volunteered my time on the board to make sure students were engaged — and that’s what I saw tonight,” she said.
Member Judith Haas suggested an executive session before the vote, saying most members didn’t know much about the situation, and “justice delayed was justice denied.”
Mr. Whitlock said any discussion was illegal without notifying the teacher in question in advance.
Mr. Pulsifer said the board was only acting procedurally to ratify the action of the superintendent.
Since the board isn’t scheduled to meet again until March 21, Ms. Haas suggested a special meeting.
Dr. Whitlock said his investigation was concluding this week. After the meeting, Superintendent Jorden Schiff said he expected the matter would be handled expeditiously. Dr. Schiff has the authority to reinstate Mr. Kampf at any time, the board said.

