By Charley Falkebnburg, Staff Writer
WEST WINDSOR Despite calls for collaboration in deciding the future of the former American Cyanamid site, some elected officials think discussions with the Howard Hughes Corp. have become developer-driven and want to prepare for the what ifs.
The most recent Howard Hughes roundtable discussion last week was intended to gather input from various community leaders. For some, the meeting only appeared to reinforce the idea the company already has plans in place for its 558-acre property that would likely include rezoning it for mixed-use.
Anticipating potential proposals, council members Bryan Maher and Linda Geevers having been asking for town professionals to come in and get the council up to speed on the possible impacts.
”There has not been one discussion on the Howard Hughes property,” said Ms. Geevers at the March 4 council meeting. For the past couple of weeks, Ms. Geevers and Mr. Maher had been requesting Land Use Manager Sam Surtees and Tax Assessor Steve Benner attend a council meeting to go over the options for the property and answer questions.
However, the administration advised to wait until the company’s plans were more definite before jumping the gun and having staff testify.
”If the perception is developer-drive, I think we need to pause and see what they put before us,” said Business Administrator Marlena Schmid. “I am concerned we are opening ourselves to some risk of liability.”
Township Attorney Michael Herbert agreed and expressed concern that any staff testimony on the record could lead to litigation down the road should Howard Hughes have an issue with the outcome in the future.
”I worry that anything told to council could be used against council and that any statement here will be part of a record in a court somewhere,” said Mr. Herbert. “My initial reaction was to allow it, but let’s take the conservative approach.”
Mr. Herbert offered to go over the zoning ordinance and answer any of council’s questions that evening, but Mr. Maher declined.
”I’d like to hear it from the paid professionals on our staff,” said Mr. Maher. “Let’s not open up this bag, because you don’t want to go there right now.”
On March 5, Mayor Hsueh said he had sent the council the current zoning ordinances and encouraged council members to submit specific questions in writing.
Mr. Maher was also concerned about the last forum’s panel of township constituents after discovering Mayor Shing-Fu Hsueh selected the community leaders. Ms. Geevers explained the mayor had picked a varied group, but the councilman remained uneasy.
”I find it to be problematic,” said Mr. Maher. “Not all people in town share the mayor’s vision.”
When asked how he selected the panel on March 5, Mayor Hsueh said he recommended people who were all “independent thinkers, who have a lot of experience and respect in the community.”
”I only asked them whether they would be willing to help and give their perspective on this piece of property,” said Mayor Hsueh. “I want this to be a fair process not just my vision.”
Panel members included Bob Prunetti, the president of the Middle Jersey Chamber of Commerce, Peter Crowley, the president of the Princeton Chamber of Commerce, Hemant Marathe, the school board president, Jean Jacobsohn, a former tax assessor and Affordable Housing chair, Council President George Borek, Alison Miller, president of Friends of West Windsor Open Space and representatives from the Shade Tree Committee and youth sports programs.
However, Mayor Hsueh said three people did not show up. He wasn’t certain why, but thought it might have something to do with concerns about getting involved in a political issue.
The developer’s project manager is currently on vacation, but Mayor Hsueh said when he comes back, the company will contact the township to move forward.
”We want to make sure this process is open and transparent,” he emphasized. “To me, there is no quick solution. They need to understand what this town really wants.”

