LAWRENCE: ‘No direct impact’ from federal budget sequester

By Lea Kahn, Staff Writer
   Fewer police officers on the beat, fewer teachers in the classroom and fewer meals being served to the elderly and shut-ins by the Meals on Wheels program — that’s what was going to happen if Congress could not agree on a deficit reduction plan by March 1.
   The lack of agreement on a deficit reduction plan would trigger $85 billion in federal budget cuts, or sequester, according to President Barack Obama. The result would have an impact public safety and the schools.
   But none of those predictions have been fulfilled in Lawrence Township, according to municipal and school district officials. That’s because very little federal money trickles down to the Lawrence Township public school district, and none makes its way into the Lawrence Township municipal budget.
   None of the 58 police officers or four paid firefighters will be laid off, because Lawrence Township does not receive federal funding, Municipal Manager Richard Krawczun said. Their salaries are paid through the municipal budget, which is largely supported by property taxes.
   ”We anticipate no direct impact,” Mr. Krawczun said.
   The Lawrence Township public school district does receive some federal funding, but $59.5 million is expected to be raised through property taxes to support the proposed $67.5 million operating budget for 2013-14. The rest of the money comes from state aid and miscellaneous sources.
   At the Board of Education’s special meeting last week to adopt the preliminary 2013-14 budget, Business Administrator Thomas Eldridge told the board that “we know the magnitude” of the cuts in federal aid, “but we don’t rely as heavily on federal funding as you might think.”
   The school district expects to receive $1.9 million in federal funds for the 2013-14 budget.
   Mr. Eldridge said the district uses federal money — $1.9 million for the 2013-14 budget — to “amplify what we do well,” he said. It uses the federal funds for seed money for programs, but not to hire teachers, he said.
   The loss of federal funding may affect some programs, however, said Superintendent of Schools Crystal Edwards. It may affect the Destinations after-school program and its summer program. Some money for tuition from the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) for special needs students may be affected.
   Senior citizens and shut-ins who rely on the Lawrence Township Meals on Wheels program do not need to be concerned, said Joyce Stilwell, the executive director of the program. It brings hot lunches to about 30 township residents, Monday through Friday.
   The Lawrence Township program does not receive any federal funding. It is supported by donations from township civic and religious organizations, local businesses and individuals. Clients pay $22.50 per week for the program, Ms. Stilwell said.But the Mercer County Nutrition Project for the Elderly, which serves meals at 12 nutrition sites — including the Lawrence Senior Center — may feel the impact of the sequester, said Marygrace Billek, Mercer County Director of Human Services.
   ”If there is an 8-percent reduction in aging services in all service areas, the Office on Aging could lose approximately $207,454 of a total grant of $2.6 million. … the impact would be 7,700 fewer congregate meals served at our 12 nutrition sites,” Ms. Billek said.
Ms. Billek said the county Office on Aging funds multiple services, such as home health aides, friendly visitors, telephone reassurances and transportation — all of which would receive less funding to offer the services.