By Philip Sean Curran, Staff Writer
Princeton Democrats on Sunday backed incumbents Jenny Crumiller and Patrick Simon for re-election in the race for two Council seats.
Ms. Crumiller and Mr. Simon are up for re-election this year because they drew one-year terms at the Jan.1 Council meeting, when all six members of the governing body randomly selected their terms of office out of a hat. The pair, who will run on the party line in the June 4 primary, will seek regular three-year-terms.
On Sunday, Ms. Crumiller and Mr. Simon first got the backing of the Princeton Community Democratic Organization, the party club, and then from the regular party committee.
”I was pleased,” Ms. Crumiller said Monday. Mr. Simon could not be reached for comment.
There has been behind-the-scenes speculation about who in the Democratic party might emerge to challenge Ms. Crumiller and Mr. Simon. So far, no one has announced an intention to run.
If no primary challengers file by the April 1 deadline, that would give both incumbents smooth sailing to the general election in November. Ms. Crumiller, who once advocated for competitive primaries as president of the PCDO, said she would “appreciate” having no opposition in this year’s primary, as it would free up her time to focus on Council business.
Republicans are looking for Council candidates to challenge Mr. Simon and Ms. Crumiller. Democrats hold all six seats on the Council.
Within the Princeton Democratic Party, however, some are focusing on next year’s council races when incumbents Bernard P. Miller and Jo S. Butler will be up. There’s been talk that Mr. Miller will likely not run for reelection, while Ms. Butler has angered some within the party, chiefly Mayor Liz Lempert, due to her willingness to speak up when she disagrees with something. For his part, Mr. Miller said Monday that he had not made up his mind about 2014. “It’s a year away,” he said.
Ms. Butler, travelling out of the country, could not be reached for comment.

