By Lea Kahn, Staff Writer
Township Council very quietly introduced its $43 million budget for 2013 Tuesday night, setting the stage for an April 16 public hearing on the spending plan.
The budget carries a 5-cent increase in the municipal property tax rate, from 89 cents per $100 of assessed value to 94 cents. The owner of a house assessed at the township average of $160,262 will pay $80.13 more in municipal property taxes for 2013.
Township Council also set the annual bulk trash fee at $25 for 2013 at its Tuesday night meeting. The fee is expected to generate about $140,000. The council approved an ordinance creating a bulk trash fee last year.
The amount to be raised by taxation which represents about 55 percent of the revenue to support the 2013 budget is $23.5 million, for an increase of $1 million over 2012. However, that number is $156,000 below the statutory 2-percent cap on municipal tax rate increases, Municipal Manager Richard Krawczun said.
A portion of the increase in the municipal property tax rate is due to a decline in the overall property tax base from 2012 to 2013. The tax base has declined by $27 million, which resulted in a loss of $254,953 in property tax revenue. The taxable value of all property in Lawrence is $2.5 billion.
The 2013 budget does not include layoffs. The purchasing agent position has been reduced from full-time to part-time status. The deputy chief of police, the Planning Department’s executive assistant position, per diem firefighters and a park maintenance worker position have all been eliminated from the spending plan.
Mr. Krawczun told Township Council that two police officers have given notice of their intention to retire in 2013. He said two police officers will be hired and sent to the police academy for trainingreplacing the two retirees.
Township Council appreciates the efforts of department heads and how they are making due with less, Councilman Michael Powers said Tuesday night. It was also noted that the 2013 budget is $1.3 million less than the 2012 spending plan.
Mr. Powers pointed out that with the privatization of the 911 emergency dispatching operations, two police officers will be returned to patrol the street. They had been filling in for the dispatchers. The council awarded a contract to iXP Corp. for two years at an annual cost of $719,400 earlier this year.
”I know you have been finding creative solutions,” Mr. Powers told Mr. Krawczun.
Mayor Jim Kownacki also praised Mr. Krawczun and the department heads for “working very hard. You kept us under the 2-percent cap.” He added that he was pleased that Mr. Krawczun was able to return two police officers to the streets.
”Personally, I can’t thank you enough,” Mayor Kownacki said.
Councilman Stephen Brame added, “Well done, Mr. Krawczun.”

