NEW BRUNSWICK:Edison Cop pleads innocent to charges

Accused of trying to burn out fellow officer and family in Monroe

By Charles W. Kim, Managing Editor
NEW BRUNSWICK — The Edison police officer facing attempted murder and aggravated arson charges for allegedly setting fire to the Arlene Drive home of a superior and his family last week pled not guilty during his arraignment May 24.
   Seated next to his attorney, Lawrence Bitterman, Officer Michael A. Dotro, 35, of Manalapan appeared in court on charges that he tried to kill a superior Edison officer and his family by setting the captain’s Monroe Township house on fire early last week, according to police.
   Police announced the arrest in a May 23 press release from acting Middlesex County Prosecutor Andrew C. Carey and Monroe Chief of Police Michael E. Lloyd.
   Mr. Dotro was arrested at his Monmouth County home in the afternoon May 23 and charged with five counts of attempted murder and one count of aggravated arson.
   Mr. Dotro, a nine-year veteran of the Edison Police Department, was charged following an “intensive” investigation into the early morning fire at the home of Edison Police Capt. Mark Anderko May 20, police said.
   According to police, Mr. Dotro intentionally set fire to the outside of the residence as the family, consisting of Capt. Anderko, his wife, two children and 92-year-old mother slept.
   Capt. Anderko and his family were able to escape the 4 a.m. blaze which “extensively” damaged the two-story, colonial home, according to police.
   Police, EMT workers and firefighters from Monroe Township Fire Stations 23-A, 23-B, 51 and 57 arrived. The fire was extinguished within 10 to 15 minutes, according to police.
   Acting Prosecutor Carey thanked investigators for their tireless efforts to quickly secure evidence and identify and charge the suspect, according to the release.
   Superior Court Judge Vincent LeBlon sitting in New Brunswick.
   jailed Mr. Dotro at the Middlesex County adult Correction Center in North Brunswick on $5 million bail with no 10 percent optionJudge LeBlon also ordered that, if released on bond, Mr. Dotro must surrender his firearms and passport and not to have any contact with the victims in the case, according to police.
   Mr. Dotro has been suspended from his job with pay, police said.