HIGHTSTOWN: Grand Jury indicts two in stabbing

A Mercer County Grand Jury recently returned a six-count indictment charging two borough men with attempted murder, according to a press release.

By Charles W. Kim, Managing Editor
HIGHTSTOWN — A Mercer County Grand Jury recently returned a six-count indictment charging two borough men with attempted murder, according to a press release.
   Hightstown residents Alexander Martinez, 19, and Edwin Merino, 21, were each indicted on one count of first-degree attempted murder, one count of first-degree robbery, one count of third-degree possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and one count of fourth-degree unlawful possession of a weapon, according to the release.
   Mr. Martinez was additionally indicted on one count of third-degree theft by receiving stolen property for a laptop, jewelry and clothing that Hightstown police discovered in his possession at the time of his arrest, according to the release.
   Police said the items had been reported stolen in the borough.
   The charges stem from a July 31 incident where the pair allegedly flagged down a 37-year-old East Windsor man in his vehicle at the Westerlea Arms Apartments just before 3 a.m., according to police.
   The men allegedly demanded money from the victim and then stabbed and punched him multiple times.
   The victim, identified as Dario Mogrovejo of East Windsor, was able to escape and drive himself to the police department where he was transported to the Capital Health Regional Medical Center in Trenton.
   He was immediately taken into surgery in critical condition, but survived the attack, police said.
   Police said the men were arrested a few hours later.
   During the altercation, Mr. Martinez received injuries and wounds from the knife as well, police said.
   He was taken to the same hospital and was treated and released.
   Both men remain in the Mercer County Correction Center in lieu of $1 million bail.
   ”I am very proud of the officers that were involved,” said Police Director and Interim Borough Administrator James Le Tellier at the time.
   According to Mr. Le Tellier, there were three different crime scenes.
   ”They secured all the crime scenes,” Mr. Le Tellier said. “They collected all the evidence. It was well run under the direct direction supervision of Lt. (Frank) Gendron. I think when it is all done and said, all residents should be proud of their officers and the actions they took in the case, not only them, but the First Aid Squad, who took a guy who that was near death into the emergency room and saved the individual’s life regardless whether he is here illegal or legal.”