PRINCETON: Capt. Sutter interviewed by the mayor and council

The presumptive next Princeton police chief, Nicholas K. Sutter, was recently interviewed for an hour by Mayor Liz Lempert and the council in what one official called a “friendly” conversati

By Philip Sean Curran, Staff Writer
   The presumptive next Princeton police chief, Nicholas K. Sutter, was recently interviewed for an hour by Mayor Liz Lempert and the council in what one official called a “friendly” conversation.
   Officials were mum about what they had talked about with him in closed session March 10 or the topics that came up.
   ”I can’t comment on it,” said Councilwoman Jenny Crumiller.
   Council President Bernard P. Miller said there was a “good exchange,” but he too declined to provide specifics.
   Without elaborating, Councilwoman Jo S. Butler said she favored bringing Capt. Sutter back before council to continue the conversation because there were “additional things” that she wanted to “probe.”
   Ms. Butler felt the interview was a “mile wide and an inch deep,” given all the topics officials had to discuss in a short time frame.
   For his part, Mr. Miller said that Capt. Sutter would return if one or more council members felt he should do so.
   Capt. Sutter, a veteran of the former Borough Department, is the only candidate officials are considering to run a force of around 50 sworn officers. He could not be reached for comment this week.
   There had been thought that the town could appoint a chief this month. Council has only one more meeting in March, scheduled for Monday.
   Capt. Sutter is the highest-ranking officer in a department that is without a chief. Former Chief David J. Dudeck left early last year in the face of alleged administrative misconduct.
   Mr. Dudeck went on extended medical leave in February 2013 and retired with his pension as of Sept.1.
   A civil lawsuit that seven current and former officers filed in September alleged Mr. Dudeck starting in 2008 used vulgar and sexually graphic language in the workplace toward them that amounted to gender, sexual orientation and disability discrimination. The suit also alleges sexual harassment.
   In Mr. Dudeck’s absence, Mayor Lempert has applauded what she called the “stellar” job that Capt. Sutter has done in guiding the force.
    “The department has turned a corner over the last year under new leadership — successfully merging two departments with two different cultures, expanding community policing services to enhance our safety, and acting nimbly to meet our needs despite a reduced force,” said Councilwoman Heather H. Howard, a member of the council public safety committee.But Ms. Butler said she was “apprehensive” about moving forward until officials have some sense of how the Dudeck lawsuit might play out.