Council to replace retiring administrator
By Philip Sean Curran, Staff Writer
Princeton Assistant Administrator and Director of Finance Kathryn Monzo is the front runner to succeed Robert W. Bruschi as the top civilian employee in municipal government, officials said.
Mr. Bruschi, the current administrator, is due to retire this year. Officials said they plan to hire a consultant to create a job description that would lay out the skills that they want in the next town administrator. Yet they appear to have the person they want for the important position.
Councilwoman Jenny Crumiller said Friday that she thinks that Ms. Monzo is the front runner. “I think Kathy can do the job,” said Councilman Lance Liverman on Sunday.
Ms. Monzo, 53, said Monday that she is interested in the job and would apply for it. She has worked for Princeton for the past 10 years. Prior to that she worked for the state in the Division of Local Government Services.
”I expect over the next few weeks the governing body is going to spend some significant time looking at the position, what is needed in the way of qualifications and weighing all of those requirements with the skills that Kathy possesses,” Mr. Bruschi said by email Monday. “She is an extremely qualified individual that has done a spectacular job in helping mold the new organization.”
Mayor Liz Lempert last week would not discuss Ms. Monzo, only saying that the council wants to make a decision by the end of the summer to early fall so there can be a seamless transition from Mr. Bruschi to his successor.
”Playing this out in the newspaper, it’s not good for the organization or the town,” Mayor Lempert said.
Ms. Monzo has experience being the top employee. In 2012, she served most of the year as interim town administrator after Jim Pascale left for retirement. She has widely been seen as Mr. Bruschi’s heir apparent.
”She has also worked tirelessly in trying to be prepared for the opportunity if it comes,” Mr. Bruschi said. “As the council looks forward to appointing the next administrator I’m sure they will be considering all she has accomplished and her qualifications for leading the community into the future.”
It was also during that time in 2012 she signed off on her three daughters working for the municipality, a move that created controversy when it became public. It’s a subject that officials still hear comment on from the public, Councilwoman Jo S. Butler said Friday.
”There’s no question that I think it was a mistake in judgment. I think Kathy would say that,” Ms. Butler said. “We all make mistakes.”
Ms. Butler said the issue would come up during any job interview that Ms. Monzo has with officials.
At the moment, only one of her daughters is employed with the town as a secretary in the construction office, Mr. Bruschi said. One daughter left a part-time, temporary job last week in the same department.
Ms. Butler said the Monzo issue led to the creation of a town policy that says the council personnel committee would handle any hiring of a relative of the town administrator.
In terms of Mr. Bruschi’s retirement, officials expect him to leave at the end of the year.
“It could be earlier depending upon the hiring of a replacement and any need for transition,” Mr. Bruschi said.The administrator is one of two top jobs that officials are planning to fill; they also are in the midst of naming a police chief. That job is expected to go to Capt. Nicholas K. Sutter, the highest-ranking officer who is the only person being considered.
Once Mr. Bruschi’s successor is named, it is unclear if officials would name a deputy administrator to replace Ms. Monzo.

