By Gene Robbins, Managing Editor
Is there a sage bush serial thief on the prowl in Lambertville?
On July 18, city police received a second report in six days about a bush removed from a residence when Michele Schenk, 55, of Lambertville, came to police headquarters to report the theft of a sage bush on July 10.
Ms. Schenk, who lives on the 100 block of North Union Street, said a three-foot, 10-year-old sage bush in the rear of the residence in a herb garden was completely removed — bush and roots. Ms. Schenk said she had read in the newspaper of a similar incident on July 12 and felt the incidents could be related. At this time there are no suspects or witnesses, police said.
In other reports:
— On July 17, Patrolman Matthew Bast responded to the Lambertville-New Hope Ambulance and Rescue Squad building for a report of a theft. On an unknown date and time someone cut a combination lock to a door which secures the "cell tower." Once inside, three copper bus boards were unbolted and removed. The bus boards act as a ground for the lightning rods to prevent damage during electrical storms. The base of the tower is accessible to multiple agencies, the rescue squad, T-mobile, Sprint and Hunterdon County Communications. At this time there are no suspects or witnesses, police said.
— On July 18, Patrolman Michael Gramlich responded to the Lambertville Station Inn for a criminal mischief report. The officer spoke with business owner Dan Whitaker, who said during the night hours of July 3, a staff member watching a security monitor saw an unknown person walking around the outside of the new banquet hall addition. The individual could be seen carrying a flashlight and was walking along the sidewalk where awnings are drawn along the parking lot and river side. It was later discovered seven awnings had been sliced open or scratched with a sharp object.
— On July 18, Christopher J. Cunnane, 48, of Lambertville turned himself in at police headquarters on a warrant for failure to appear for his scheduled court date on March 25. The original violation was for a seatbelt summons. Mr. Cunnane posted the $81 bail and was released.
— On July 19, John J. Timko, 52, of Flemington, was charged with disorderly conduct and failure to obey a lawful order from police. At about 9:50 a.m. Patrolman Matthew Bast responded to the Lambertville Hall Foundation for a report of an intoxicated male causing a disturbance. The officer said he saw Mr. Timko lying across the steps. A bottle of vodka was nearby. When Mr. Timko was asked to leave the property, he refused. Mr. Timko was taken into custody. He has a pending court date.
— On July 13, Sgt. Michael O’Rourke responded to Deanna’s Restaurant for a criminal mischief complaint. Upon arrival Sgt. O’Rourke met with Katharine L. Hanly, 32, of New Hope. She said she left her vehicle in Deanna’s Restaurant parking lot overnight and was driven home by a friend. During the night the vehicle was "keyed" along the hood and driver’s side door. There are no suspects or witnesses at this time.

