MOUNT HOLLY — Burlington County Prosecutor Robert D. Bernardi and Willingboro Public Safety Director Gregory Rucker announced that a former Willingboro public school teacher was charged last week with attempting to lure an underage former female student to engage in sexual activity.
Patrick N. McGwier, 30, of Wickham Lane in East Windsor, was charged Aug. 7 with one count of Attempted Luring Through an Electronic Means (Second Degree).
Mr. McGwier taught the girl, who is now 15, while she was a student in eighth grade at Memorial Middle School in Willingboro.
The investigation revealed that Mr. McGwier was in contact with the victim through social media earlier this year and expressed an interest in pursuing a relationship.
The victim’s family contacted law enforcement about Mr. McGwier’s actions and detectives from the Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office Sexual Assault/Child Abuse Unit and the High Tech Crimes Unit became involved, according to the release.
Police said Mr. McGwier believed he was still communicating with the victim but in realty he was interacting with a detective from the High Tech Crimes Unit.
The communication culminated in a planned meeting at a location in Willingboro on Aug. 7.
When Mr. McGwier showed up for the meeting, officers from the Willingboro Township Police Department took him into custody, police said.
He was lodged in the Burlington County Jail on $100,000 full bail.
The investigation was conducted by detectives from the Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office High Tech Crimes Unit, the Sexual Assault/Child Abuse Unit and the Willingboro Township Police Department.
The BCPO is a member of the New Jersey State Police Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force.

