74e0cf17faaae181d3335a77501b7e0a.jpg

SOUTH BRUNSWICK: Tourney travel season starts

By Azra Baig, Special Writer
The South Brunswick Soccer Club kicked off its season with the 32nd Annual South Brunswick Kickoff Soccer Tournament held this past Saturday and Sunday at Sondek Park, Rowland Park and Harvest Woods.
According to the Tournament Director, Tony Macaluso, 139 teams participated in the soccer tournament with 15 of the teams being from South Brunswick.
According to estimates, approximately 5,000 people, including players, coaches, parents, families, volunteers, referees and others took part in the tournament this year.
Boys and girls teams, ranging from U-8 (under age eight) to U-14 (under age 14), participated in the soccer games.
The soccer teams came from neighboring towns such as Princeton, West Windsor, Monroe, East Brunswick and also from towns as far as Bloomfield, Union, Westfield, Cranford and from Eastern Pennsylvania.
Jay Meranchik, a South Brunswick parent of a player on the U-9 Boys Storm team, said he has been coming to the annual tournament for many years since his two older daughters had been part of the soccer club.
"It’s a lot of fun and it’s a great way to open up the soccer season right here in South Brunswick," He said.
"The tournament was a great success with all the teams involved," Mr. Macaluso said.