By Philip Sean Curran, Staff Writer
A man accused of getting a teenage girl drunk and then sexually assaulting her in Princeton will avoid further criminal prosecution if he successfully completes the same probation program that ex-Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice entered.
David Stevens-Parker, 22, must do community service, hold down a job and meet other conditions during the three years he is in the pre-trial intervention program, the Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office said this week.
"If he successfully completes the program, the original charges against him will be dismissed," said prosecutor’s office spokeswoman Casey A. DeBlasio by email Tuesday.
In January, he was charged in a two-count indictment with first-degree aggravated sexual assault and second-degree sexual assault stemming from an encounter Mr. Stevens-Parker allegedly had with a 16-year-old girl on April 13, 2013, at Mountain Lakes Preserve.
Authorities claim that Mr. Stevens-Parker and a friend, Bryan Espina-Martinez, got the victim and a 15-year-old girl from Cranbury drunk and had sex with them. Princeton Police arrested and charged both of them that same day with sexual assault and related offenses. Mr. Espina-Martinez resolved his case last year by taking a plea deal that called for a suspended sentence.
Mr. Stevens-Parker, contending the sex was consensual, had pleaded not guilty. As part of entering pre-trial intervention, he does not have to admit any of the charges he was indicted on. His lawyer, Andrew Mark Ferencevych, could not be reached for comment.
"After considering all of the relevant factors in the case, and consulting with the victim and her family, the prosecutor’s office did not object to Mr. Stevens-Parker’s admittance into the program. It was determined that PTI was the appropriate resolution and in the best interest of justice as well as the victim," Ms. DeBlasio said.Court records list Mr. Stevens-Parker having a Princeton address.
New focus has been put on the pre-trial intervention program after a video was released showing Mr. Rice assaulting his then-fiancee in the elevator of a casino in Atlantic City. Mr. Rice was admitted into PTI in Atlantic County, thus allowing him to avoid any possibility of going to prison.
"This video and the violence it shows is extremely disturbing. It is a vivid reminder that domestic violence is a serious problem that can’t be ignored and shouldn’t be treated lightly," said state Senate President Stephen M. Sweeney (D-3) in a statement Tuesday asking acting-Attorney General John J. Hoffman to look into Mr. Rice’s case.
In particular, Mr.Sweeney said he wants Mr. Hoffman "to review the decision-making process that allowed for Pre-Trial Intervention and to look at the law itself to see if it should be re-written or revised.
"This should include a review of who qualifies for PTI and when it is allowed," said Mr.Sweeney, who is positioning himself for a run for governor in three years.
In New Jersey, the PTI program is "generally" for first-time offenders, the state judiciary website said.
"If a defendant successfully completes all the conditions of PTI, then the original charges are dismissed and there is no record of conviction," according to the site. Those who fail to complete the conditions have their cases reopened.

