4a8c695e96daa9096dc0669ba4764127.jpg

SOUTH BRUNSWICK: Katz quits board race

Second challenger pulls name off ballot

By Charles W. Kim, Managing Editor
College student and educational activist Melissa Katz withdrew her name from the ballot for a seat on the Board of Education, officials said Tuesday.
A spokesman for the Middlesex County Clerk’s Office confirmed Tuesday that Ms. Katz submitted a letter on Sept. 2 to remove her name as a challenger on November’s ballot, three days before the deadline.
"It was completely my decision, it was all me," Ms. Katz said in a telephone interview Tuesday evening. "I felt that my ability would be limited to speak out if I was elected."
Ms. Katz, an outspoken opponent of the recently enacted Common Core curriculum, said that she feels her voice and activity would be "more forceful" used in other places than a seat on the board.
"I realized, by running, that I could not speak out as easily on controversial topics," Ms. Katz said. "I did not want to have to worry about what I was saying (if I was on the board)."
She said she enjoyed the experience of her first run for public office and that it was "a learning experience."
She also said she would continue to speak out on issues relating to education in the district.
Ms. Katz is the second of three challengers to drop out of the race for three seats on the panel.
Last month, Ed Birch also withdrew his name from the ballot.
Mr. Birch, a freelance corespondent for the South Brunswick Post, made the decision so that he could continue writing about the district for the paper.
Anilkumar Patel remains the last challenger facing the three incumbents, Arthur Robinson, Deven Patel and Pat Del Piano in the election.