By Amy Batista, Special Writer
HIGHTSTOWN — The Borough Council unanimously passed a resolution authorizing the settlement of a lawsuit between former Police Director James LeTellier and the Borough Council, Borough of Hightstown and John Does during its meeting on Monday night.
According to the resolution, in April of 2014, the Plaintiff, Mr. LeTellier, filed a Complaint and Jury Demand in the Superior Court of New Jersey entitled "James LeTellier vs. Borough Council of the Borough of Hightstown and John Does 1-5 and 6-10."
Council member Rob Thibault questioned if members of the public could get a copy of resolution 2014-225, which was added to the amended agenda earlier in the evening.
"It will be publicly available as soon as council approves it this evening," said Borough Attorney Frederick Raffetto.
Mr. Raffetto provided some background on the settlement per Mr. Thibault’s request.
"As appointed by the insurance carrier, (Attorney) Eric Harrison has met with the council on several occasions to review the status of the ligation as well as the proposals that had been brought forward," he said.
He said that Mr. Harrison met with council earlier in the evening during the executive session.
"Most recently the parties had reached a tentative agreement which he had the opportunity to put together in a draft format that he presented to council tonight in executive and council determined to move it forward for consideration during the regular session this evening," he said.
He said the main terms and conditions include that the settle agreement there is no admission of liability on the part of the Borough, the plaintiff, Mr. LeTellier will dismiss his lawsuit with prejudice against the borough, the borough will withdraw the pending the disciplinary charges against Director LeTellier with prejudice.
"The borough will be making a payment to Mr. LeTellier in the amount of $60,000 within 30 days of the effective date of the agreement," he said. "Mr. LeTellier will be resigning his position with the Borough immediately."
He was initially appointed on Feb. 6, 2012, for a three-year term which shall expire on Feb. 6, 2015, according to resolution.
He said there would be a mutual non-disparagement provision set forth in the agreement.
"Mr. LeTellier will agree to cooperate with the borough and prosecution of disciplinary charges as needed relating to the police department," he said.
According to the resolution, the parties wish to settle the lawsuit amicably without the need for lengthy and costly litigation, and in a manner through which no party admits any liability whatsoever. To that end, the parties have negotiated a Settlement Agreement which sets forth the terms and conditions associated with the resolution of the said lawsuit.
After the council took a vote, Mr. LeTellier left the meeting.
"I just want to say that it has been an honor and privilege to serve the residents, business owners and taxpayers of Hightstown," said Mr. LeTellier in an email on Tuesday. "I have enjoyed working for and meeting them."
He expressed his thanks to the community has given him for the opportunity to serve them.
Residents questioned after the resignation of the police director who was in-charge of the police department now.
"Tell me who is going to be in-charge now that you just voted to take that settlement and he’s done effective the minute he walked out that door," said Doug Mair, resident and mayoral candidate. "The next officer that’s in-charge is Lt. (Frank) Gendron and he’s on vacation. Who’s in-charge? It goes down to sergeant’s right. You’ve got a few sergeants. Which one is the senior sergeant?"
Who’s in charge of the police department, he said.
He asked them if they even figure that one out or did you even bother to ask that question when you got rid of that one.
Resident and former councilwoman Lynne Woods also raised some concerns.
"Now that the police director is no longer in charge the ordinance states that Lt. Gendron would be the Acting Director if I’m correct," said Ms. Woods. "I would hope that you put as much scrutiny into how Lt. Gendron has handled these cases as he is the superior officer and he is responsible for the atmosphere of the police department during the day and of really supervising the officers directly."
I really hope that as the appropriate authority that you will look into Lt. Gendron’s behavior as well, she said.
There was no response from council or the mayor during the meeting who was in-charge of the police department.
Council member and Police Commissioner Larry Quattrone said on Tuesday that he appointed Lt. Gendron as Acting Director and he would appoint a sergeant to be in-charge which he believed would be Sgt. Ben Miller but he was not sure.

