Category: Sentinel-EBS News

  • Local crossword creator passes away at 85

    Metuchen resident designed puzzlesfor The New York Times BY BRYAN SABELLAStaff Writer Metuchen resident designed puzzles for The New York Times BY BRYAN SABELLA Staff Writer FILE PHOTO Metuchen resident Frances Hansen, who created crossword puzzles for many prominent newspapers, passed away last week. Frances Hansen, a lifelong borough resident who created crossword puzzles for…

  • Repairing Crescent Avenue to cost boro $50,000 more

    Allocation to increase by $73,000 forcontingency purposesBY VINCENT TODAROStaff Writer Repairing Crescent Avenue to cost boro $50,000 more by $73,000 for contingency purposes BY VINCENT TODARO Staff Writer SPOTSWOOD — Improvements to Crescent Avenue will cost the borough more money than officials anticipated. At its July 1 meeting, the Borough Council introduced an ordinance to…

  • Work on Route 18 scheduled to begin

    BY SETH MANDELStaff Writer Work on Route 18 scheduled to begin BY SETH MANDEL Staff Writer This summer’s repaving of a stretch of Route 18 in New Brunswick will commence as planned, according to the state Department of Transportation. The standard resurfacing is scheduled to begin in early August and the work should take less…

  • Candidate: E.B. should

    end dealings with bankOfficials continueto defend 2002 switchto Commerce Bank BY VINCENT TODAROStaff Writer Candidate: E.B. should end dealings with bank Officials continue to defend 2002 switch to Commerce Bank BY VINCENT TODARO Staff Writer EAST BRUNSWICK — A Republican contender for the Township Council is calling for the township to end its relationship with…

  • Monroe man honored for volunteer service

    Planner, ex-schoolboard member says heis humbled by awardBYSETHMANDELStaff Writer Planner, ex-school board member says he is humbled by award BYSETHMANDEL Staff Writer SETH MANDEL David DeMarco at the funeral home he owns in Monroe with his son, Thomas, a registered intern with the business. MONROE — David DeMarco does not plan on leaving Monroe any…

  • Chase, shooting spur defendant to file suit

    Old Bridge man claims police were not trainedto handle pursuit BY SUE M. MORGANStaff Writer Old Bridge man claims police were not trained to handle pursuit BY SUE M. MORGAN Staff Writer An Old Bridge man shot twice as he led East Brunswick and Spotswood police on a high-speed chase through four Middlesex County towns…

  • Donations sought for after-school programs

    Jamesburg schoolsneed $23,000 to keepactivities availableBYSETHMANDELStaff Writer Donations sought for after-school programs Jamesburg schools need $23,000 to keep activities available BYSETHMANDEL Staff Writer JAMESBURG — The borough is seeking donations to help save the town’s after-school sports programs. The fund-raising efforts are being spearheaded by Mayor Anthony LaMantia, who has enlisted the help of local…

  • MCC ready to welcome local ‘star’ students

    EDISON — Middlesex County College prides itself on being an opportunity institution, providing entry to higher-level education at a modest cost for students from around the county. Last week, only days after Gov. James E. McGreevey signed into law the N.J. STARS (New Jersey Tuition Reward Assistance Scholarship) program, the college announced that 78 high…

  • Governor signs new DWI legislation

    BY BRYAN SABELLAStaff Writer BY BRYAN SABELLA Staff Writer TRENTON — A new state law aims to crack down on repeat drunken drivers. A bill co-sponsored by Assemblymen Upendra Chivikula (D-Somerset) and Peter J. Barnes Jr. (D-Middlesex) to prevent repeat drunken-driving offenders from getting off with lesser punishments was signed into law by Gov. James…