Category: Sentinel-EDM News

  • Federal probe eyes No. Brunswick man

    Suspected of creatingWeb site that solicitedsupport for the Taliban BY JENNIFERKOHLHEPPStaff Writer Federal probe eyes No. Brunswick man Suspected of creating Web site that solicited support for the Taliban BY JENNIFERKOHLHEPP Staff Writer The federal Department of Homeland Security is investigating a North Brunswick man for allegedly creating a Web site to solicit funds for…

  • 9 Feet Tall reaches for new musical heights

    BY JENNIFER KOHLHEPPStaff Writer BY JENNIFER KOHLHEPP Staff Writer PHOTOS BY JENNIFER KOHLHEPP North Brunswick’s Dan Anderson (l), and Tom Pfau at 9 Feet Tall’s band practice. NORTH BRUNSWICK — They might not be giants in the music industry yet, but they’re 9 Feet Tall and growing with a new album. After almost 18 months…

  • District receives grant for preschool programs

    BY BRYAN SABELLAStaff Writer BY BRYAN SABELLA Staff Writer METUCHEN — The borough is one of 24 districts in the state to benefit from a state grant to provide new or expanded preschool programs. Superintendent of Schools Theresa Sinatra said Metuchen stands to receive $24,000 from the grant, but most likely won’t be able to…

  • Former longtime Edison police chief dies at 82

    Former Edison Chief of Police William Thomas Fisher Sr. died Aug. 9 at the age of 82. Fisher, a 37-year veteran of the police department, served as chief from 1971 until his retirement in 1984. "Bill was a dedicated public servant who took his responsibilities seriously," said Mayor George A. Spadoro. "The passing of Chief…

  • Motorist’s window shot out

    WOODBRIDGE — A man traveling on Port Reading Avenue last week had his rear window shot out in an apparent road rage incident, police said. Police received a call from the victim on Aug. 11 at 2:28 p.m. The victim told police a white Honda Civic pulled up beside him and swerved toward his car.…

  • 3 youths charged in robbery try

    EDISON — Police arrested three township juveniles and are seeking two more in connection with the attempted robbery of an Elmhurst, N.Y., man July 30. The 45-year-old was walking on Sugar Road around 10 p.m. when five youths on bicycles pulled up to him, dismounted and began demanding his backpack, said Patrolman Robert Dudash. One…

  • McGreevey news takes town hall by surprise

    BY COLLEEN LUTOLFStaff Writer BY COLLEEN LUTOLF Staff Writer WOODBRIDGE — Just as most Woodbridge residents were shocked to hear of Gov. James E. McGreevey’s resignation, shock waves rippled through town hall as well. Mayor Frank G. Pelzman’s chief of staff, Donna Jago, said the mayor’s office was completely unprepared for members of the press…

  • McGreevey story not over, some residents say

    BY COLLEEN LUTOLFStaff Writer BY COLLEEN LUTOLF Staff Writer WOODBRIDGE — In the days following Gov. James E. McGreevey’s bombshell resignation speech, people said they are waiting for the truth to come out about why their former mayor really quit his long-sought-after post. "There’s got to be something deeper," Anthony Lisco of Iselin said at…

  • Park levels playing fields for disabled

    BY ELAINE VAN DEVELDEStaff Writer BY ELAINE VAN DEVELDE Staff Writer EDISON — There has been no stopping the physically challenged population that has taken advantage of a county "barrier-free" facility in the past year. With the first anniversary of the Middlesex County Level Playing Fields approaching, officials have found that there are many groups…