Category: Sentinel-NBS News

  • Pastor revs up his search for his family

    The Rev. JohnMaltby will retire in July after 50 years of church service BY CHRIS MURINO Staff Writer The Rev. John Maltby SOUTH BRUNSWICK – Some call him Mr. South Brunswick. Others call him John. Most call him The Rev. And pretty soon, The Rev will be retiring this summer as the pastor of Miller…

  • Pulomena to pursue admin. position

    BY JENNIFER AMATO Staff Writer NEW BRUNSWICK – Middlesex County Freeholder John Pulomena has resigned from the county board to pursue the position of county administrator. Pulomena has been on the board for 10 years. He chaired the county’s Public Health and Education Committee, which created the state-of-the-artAcademy of Science, Mathematics and Engineering Technologies, and…

  • Cty. budget introduced

    NEW BRUNSWICK – The Middlesex County Board of Chosen Freeholders formally introduced a $397million budget proposal last week that reduces the county’s equalized property tax rate for the 15th straight year. The proposed budget includes a net tax levy of $281,223,000,which is the amount to be raised through taxes. Freeholder Director David Crabiel said the…

  • Lost Boy, now man, recounts tale of survival

    Sudanese CivilWar survivor tells of flight through Africa, to the U.S. BY KATHY CHANG Staff Writer Abraham Awolich METUCHEN – At the age of 7, Abraham Awolich found himself displaced from his home in Sudan and alone. “We all had to run away and hide,” said Awolich, who in 1988 fled his home on foot…

  • Residents hope for a fresh start in Dayton

    Workshop outlines ways to improve section of So. Brunswick BY CHRIS MURINO Staff Writer SCOTT FRIEDMAN Dennis Weitz, of Dayton, shows his wife, Clara (l), and Judy Caccavale, also of Dayton, a new development in town at the Community Design Workshop at Fresh Ponds Village in Dayton last Thursday. See page 6. SOUTH BRUNSWICK –…

  • Report: No health risks near NBTHS

    Residents say assessment is not sufficient regarding effects of contamination BY JENNIFER AMATO Staff Writer There is “no apparent public health risk” at the North Brunswick Township High School and its surrounding areas associated with the soil contamination found in 2003, according to a preliminary public health assessment. Last Thursday, township officials and representatives from…

  • Man rejects plea deal in child sexual assault case

    SOUTH BRUNSWICK – A 78-yearold township man who was charged with sexually assaulting a young girl when she was between the ages of 5 and 8 rejected a plea deal on Jan. 28 According to Assistant Ocean County Prosecutor Laura Pierro,AlbertMandycz was offered a plea bargain to plead guilty to aggravated sexual assault, which is…

  • N.J.’s racing industry on the brink of collapse

    Corzine urged to fulfill promises made to remedy fiscal crisis BY JANE MEGGITT Staff Writer Local members of the harness racing industry had strong reactions to the announcement that Freehold Raceway has reduced its purse structure and that the Meadowlands is expected to follow suit with drastic purse cuts if the Legislature does not quickly…

  • S.B. fire leaves 16 homeless

    SOUTH BRUNSWICK – Fifty-five firefighters from four different fire companies put out a fire early Saturday morning at the Royal Oaks apartment complex, off Henderson Road near Route 1. No one was injured in the blaze. “It’s a credit to the firefighters,” said South Brunswick Police Detective Jim Ryan. “For no one to get injured…