Category: Suburban News

  • Beach bags

    JEFF GRANIT staff Large tubes are filled with water and sand as part of the restoration of an eroded dune on the beachfront of Laurence Harbor section of Old Bridge. The emergency project, designed to protect several nearby homes, has had work crews at the beach throughout August and is expected to continue into September.

  • Former COAH official takes local director role

    BY LAUREN MATTHEW Staff Writer BY LAUREN MATTHEWStaff Writer OLD BRIDGE — The township has a new director of community development. Ellen Ritchie, who for the past two years has served as deputy executive director to the state Council on Affordable Housing (COAH), can officially assume her duties in Old Bridge now that the Township…

  • Town clarifies laws on business types, parking

    BY LAUREN MATTHEW Staff Writer BY LAUREN MATTHEWStaff Writer OLD BRIDGE — Local businesses have new rules to follow, courtesy of changes made recently to the township’s land development ordinance. Unanimously adopted by the Township Council earlier this month, the changes are designed to clarify parking regulations and definitions for certain types of establishments. Specifically,…

  • Sisters to honor mom’s memory at Avon walk

    East Brunswick teacher Nicole Haggiag and sister must raise $3,600 BY LAUREN MATTHEW Staff Writer BY LAUREN MATTHEWStaff Writer Danielle and Nicole Haggiag (from right) with their mother, Denise, who the family of six lost last year to breast cancer. The sisters are now raising money as they gear up for a two-day walk to…

  • Budget dispute ends with no tax increase

    Drwal: Use of entire surplus may backfire in BY JOHN DUNPHY Staff Writer BY JOHN DUNPHYStaff Writer The borough has a budget.Nearly six months after it was first presented, the Sayreville Borough Council voted Monday night in favor of a $43 million 2005 municipal budget, which will see the entirety of a $1.4 million surplus…

  • ‘Crabiel Plan’ seeks fewer Ford Ave. homes

    Freeholder director presents his own plan for redevelopment BY SETH MANDEL Staff Writer BY SETH MANDELStaff Writer Milltown’s Ford Avenue Redevelopment Plan has been the subject of passionate debate, disputed studies and rival development schemes. But this week, a new version of the plan emerged — “The Crabiel Plan.” Middlesex County Freeholder Director David B.…

  • O.B. officials debate new sex offender law

    Mayor: Town doesn BY LAUREN MATTHEW Staff Writer BY LAUREN MATTHEWStaff Writer Talks have begun on a new law that would restrict where sex offenders can live in Old Bridge. Ward 4 Councilman G. Kevin Calogera introduced the idea at Monday night’s Township Council meeting, noting that he went to the township’s legal department to…

  • Monroe man robbed, shot in home invasion

    BY SETH MANDEL Staff Writer BY SETH MANDELStaff Writer MONROE –– A township man was shot Friday night during a robbery in which two men came to his Bennett Avenue home and stole $10,000 in cash and jewelry. The 56-year-old resident told police he was in his backyard just after 10 p.m. when he was…

  • Denial of FEMA aid flusters local officials

    BY SETH MANDEL Staff Writer BY SETH MANDELStaff Writer State officials plan to appeal a decision by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) not to grant disaster aid to local municipalities affected by last month’s flooding. “We will not sit idly by and accept this as a final answer,” said Assemblywoman Linda Greenstein. “I stand…