Category: Suburban News
-

Tree removal restricted by new Old Bridge law
BY LAUREN MATTHEW Staff Writer BY LAUREN MATTHEWStaff Writer OLD BRIDGE –– Developers building in Old Bridge can no longer cut first and ask questions later. The Township Council on Monday night approved an ordinance that will prevent clear-cutting. The measure is based on similar laws in effect in other local towns. The ordinance comes…
-

County to help towns improve park facilities
BY DICK METZGAR Staff Writer BY DICK METZGARStaff Writer Jamesburg and Old Bridge are among four municipalities sharing $1.4 million in open space and recreation funds to upgrade parks and other playground facilities. The Middlesex County Board of Freeholders recently authorized the grant money to help the selected municipalities improve local parks. The projects represent…
-

Driver charged with DWI after his car strikes porch
BY JOHN DUNPHY Staff Writer BY JOHN DUNPHYStaff Writer SAYREVILLE — An allegedly intoxicated driver crashed his car into a Main Street home early Saturday morning. Monty Nelwani, 19, of Wellington Court, was charged with underage driving while intoxicated at 2:15 a.m. Saturday when, police said, he drove a black Nissan 350Z into the front…
-

County to donate AEDs to public, private schools
BY ANDREA OLIVIO Staff Writer BY ANDREA OLIVIOStaff Writer All schools in Middlesex County could be equipped with automated external defibrillators (AED) by next fall, thanks to a new program announced by county officials last week. Through the new Heart to Heart program, AEDs will be donated to every public, private and parochial school in…
-

High school, jr. high see consecutive threats
BY VINCENT TODARO Staff Writer BY VINCENT TODAROStaff Writer EAST BRUNSWICK — Two bomb threats in two days have officials searching for leads as to who may have perpetrated the crimes. East Brunswick High School was searched on Tuesday after a message was found scrawled on a bathroom wall, said Patricia LaDuca, the district’s coordinator…
-

Residents glad to find donuts plan withdrawn
Many had concerns about proposal for Dunkin BY LAUREN MATTHEW Staff Writer BY LAUREN MATTHEWStaff Writer It’s not time to make the donuts anymore, at least not on Englishtown Road. When Old Bridge Planning Board Chairman Lawrence Redmond told a handful of residents Tuesday night that Lufrankton Management withdrew its application to build a drive-thru…
-

Governor chats with students in Sayreville
Codey encourages reading during visit to a borough school BY JOHN DUNPHY Staff Writer BY JOHN DUNPHYStaff Writer CHRIS KELLY staff Acting Gov. Richard Codey reads to students in Suzanne Grover’s class at Arleth Elementary School in Sayreville Tuesday. The governor may have read “Tops and Bottoms,” but for the kids, his visit was simply…
-

Many turn out against Alfieri building plans
Board, crowd grill builder BY LAUREN MATTHEW Staff Writer BY LAUREN MATTHEWStaff Writer OLD BRIDGE — The simple phrase “vote no” has never been so complicated. It’s the phrase that Old Bridge residents and members of a labor union wore on their lapels or shirts last Thursday, in the form of black-and-white buttons. The buttons…
-

Hometown Heroes wall to be unveiled May 14
BY LAUREN MATTHEW Staff Writer BY LAUREN MATTHEWStaff Writer OLD BRIDGE — Local members of the armed forces won’t be faceless anymore, thanks to an effort by the township administration to recognize those on active duty. Mayor Jim Phillips will unveil a Wall of Hometown Heroes at the municipal center at 10 a.m. May 14.…
