Bond ordinances for sewer, sidewalk projects introduced

$693,000 measure spans a number of Princeton Township improvement projects.

By: David Campbell
   The Princeton Township Committee unanimously introduced $693,000 in bonding ordinances Monday night for various sewer and sidewalk projects throughout the municipality, and also introduced a measure to restrict parking on a portion of Linden Lane.
   Bonding for $370,000 would go toward ongoing work by the Sewer Operating Committee to replace sanitary-sewer laterals on private properties in the township.
   A total of 92 residences along Walnut Lane, Loomis Court and Oakland Street, and Cuyler, Harris and Hillside roads have the option to pay the township back over 10 years with interest for the mandatory repairs instead of in a lump sum. The township Public Works Department is doing road repairs in concert with the sewer work.
   The improvements are part of a rehabilitation program by the SOC to reduce infiltration and inflow of ground water and storm water into the sewer system.
   Infiltration and inflow increase the volume of flow to the Stony Brook Regional Sewerage Authority treatment plant and raise the treatment bill the township must pay.
   Also Monday night, the committee introduced a $308,000 bonding ordinance for water-main and sanitary-sewer extensions to serve seven residences along Arreton Road from the Arreton cul-de-sac toward Route 206.
   The plan calls for about 1,140 feet of new sewer and about 900 feet of new water line. Hookup to the new lines by residences — five of the sanitary-sewer hookups would be gravity-fed, while two would need pumps — is optional for residents, said Township Engineer Robert Kiser.
   The committee also voted to introduce a $15,000 bonding ordinance for sidewalk installation in front of four residences on the western side of Walnut Lane between Valley and Terhune roads, along a route used by students of the John Witherspoon Middle School and Princeton High School.
   The bond would also help pay for upgrades to existing sidewalks in front of two residences on Walnut Lane to the south of Valley Road.
   The bond money would cover 25 percent of the total cost for the work, with homeowners bearing the remaining 75 percent. The installations are estimated to cost between $2,300 and $2,400 per household, while the two repair jobs will cost around $900 per household, Mr. Kiser said.
   Public hearings on the three bonding ordinances are slated for March 8.
   Also Monday night, the Township Committee introduced an ordinance that would prohibit parking along the western length of Linden Lane from the Princeton Borough line near Franklin Avenue to Guyot Avenue.
   Parking on the eastern side of Linden between the borough line and Henry Avenue would be restricted to two hours between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
   The restrictions were proposed to address concerns over emergency-services access, but long-term parking by Westminster Choir College students is reportedly also a problem in the neighborhood.
   A public hearing on the ordinance is scheduled for Feb. 23.