Judge denies attempt to cut murder suspect’s bail



Staff Writer

BRICK — Jack Fuller Jr., of Howell, the man authorities believe is responsible for the death of teenager Brittney Gregory, 16, remains in Ocean County jail, Toms River, after his attorney tried to have his bail reduced last week.

Attorney John Goins asked state Superior Court Judge Vincent Grasso to reduce Fuller’s $1 million bail on Nov. 1.

The motion was denied after Executive Assistant Ocean County Prosecutor Ronald DeLigny presented information which indicated that the New Jersey State Police DNA laboratory determined that blood found in Fuller’s vehicle was Brittney’s.

According to Ocean County Assistant Prosecutor Robert A. Gasser, there was another passenger in Fuller’s vehicle with Brittney on July 11, the day she disappeared.

Gasser said Tom Long, the other passenger, was in the vehicle when Fuller picked up Brittney. At that time Brittney was seated in the rear of the vehicle. She moved up front when Long was dropped off.

Another witness reportedly told police that Fuller spoke to him about how deep a body should be buried so it would not be found. In addition, Fuller’s daughter has a restraining order against him and, therefore, Fuller would have no place to go if he were to make bail, Gasser said.

All this information was presented by DeLigny in an effort to keep Fuller’s $1 million bail in place.

Gasser said on Nov. 5 that he spoke with Prosecutor Thomas F. Kelaher and was told the autopsy results that may reveal the cause of Brittney’s death and whether she was sexually assaulted have not yet been returned.

Fuller has been held at the Ocean County jail since July 18.

Brittney’s body was discovered on July 27 after she had been missing for two weeks. Her body was found buried in Lakewood in a 2-foot-deep grave near the Metedeconk River boundary separating Monmouth and Ocean counties. Brittney’s body was found about 2 miles from her Brick Township home.

Authorities have disclosed little information about how the investigation led to Fuller, who has served two prison terms for burglary, theft and other offenses since 2000.

Kelaher has said law enforcement authorities had more than enough evidence to establish probable cause and to arrest Fuller and charge him with first-degree murder.

There is no known motive for the crime.