Suspect, 27, arrested following chase, crash

EAST BRUNSWICK – A township man is facing numerous charges after he reportedly led police on a chase first in his car and then on foot before being arrested in South River March 8.

The arrest was the second for Jonclaude Abril, 27, in a month’s time. In February, he was arrested after allegedly struggling with East Brunswick police officers, and was charged with driving while intoxicated, marijuana possession and aggravated assault on a police officer.

Last week, Abril was reportedly driving a two-door Chrysler at a high rate of speed on Route 18 when he passed East Brunswick Patrolman Anthony Giordano just before 2 a.m. The southbound vehicle sped through red lights at Edgeboro Road, Tices Lane and West Prospect Street, according to police, who paced the vehicle at more than 100 mph.

Abril’s vehicle turned onto Arthur Street and fled into South River, but came to a stop after striking a driveway retaining wall on Johnson Place, police said. Abril then fled on foot.

A short time later, South River police responded to a report of an unknown male knocking on the door of a Theresa Place home. As officers arrived, the suspect, which police determined to be Abril, fled and hid in a parked vehicle, but was taken into custody after a brief struggle, police said.

He was turned over to East Brunswick officers, and was then transported to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, New Brunswick, due to a head injury apparently sustained when the vehicle struck the retaining wall.

After being treated, Abril was committed to the Middlesex County Adult Correction Center on $25,000 bail. East Brunswick police charged him with driving while intoxicated, reckless driving and numerous additional traffic violations, as well as criminal charges for eluding and obstructing the administration of law.

Additionally, South River police charged Abril with disorderly conduct, trespassing and resisting arrest. He received an additional $5,000 bail on the South River charges.

His Feb. 7 arrest took place after police were called to 7-Eleven, Rues Lane, on the report of an intoxicated male. Police responded to find that the person had left the scene, but traced the vehicle’s registration to an Overland Road residence. There, Abril reportedly struggled with officers who were attempting to arrest him for suspected drunken driving. The altercation resulted in minor injuries for two officers.