Motorcyclist killed in crash

JACKSON — A motorcyclist from Brick Township was killed in a motor vehicle accident on June 7, resulting in the arrest of a Jackson man who was involved in the crash.

Police said the incident took place just before 6 p.m. when the driver of a 2000 Ford Ranger attempted to make a left turn at the intersection of East Veterans Highway and South Hope Chapel Road.

Police said Jason Wolek, 38, of Jackson, was driving the truck heading west on East Veterans Highway when a motorcyclist who was heading east struck the vehicle. The motorcycle was a 2011 Suzuki.

Emergency responders transported the driver of the motorcycle, Christopher Hoffmann, 28, of Brick Township, to a local hospital. Police said Hoffmann died from his injuries soon after arriving at the hospital.

Following an investigation, Wolek was charged with failure to yield, driving an uninsured vehicle, reckless driving, driving with a suspended driver’s license and causing a death or injury while driving with a suspended driver’s license.

Wolek was taken to the Ocean County jail, Toms River, after failing to post $50,000 bail.

Jackson Police Officers Joseph Candido and Donald Lasko are investigating the fatal accident in conjunction with representatives of the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office. Anyone with information regarding the accident is asked to contact the Jackson Police Department at 732-928-1111.

Later that evening, another incident occurred at the same intersection, resulting in the arrest of another Jackson resident.

Police said that at 9:16 p.m., the driver of a 2003 Ford was observed driving over traffic cones near the scene of the previous accident. The area had been cordoned off by police officers as part of the investigation into the earlier fatal crash.

Police officers stopped the driver, Jaclyn Morizio, 22, of Jackson, and charged her with driving while intoxicated, reckless driving, traffic on marked lanes, possession of under 50 grams of a controlled dangerous substance believed to be marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. Morizio was processed and released pending a court appearance.