Woman charged with biting police officer

JACKSON – A Hamilton Township woman will face charges that include aggravated assault on a police officer after she allegedly bit a Jackson police officer twice during a recent altercation.

The incident allegedly took place just after 2:30 p.m. Nov. 27 as police officers who were on duty at the Jackson Premium Outlets, Route 537, worked to control the flow of traffic in and out of the packed parking lot on the day after Thanksgiving.

According to Jackson Police Capt. Steven Laskiewicz, the officers became aware that motorists were having difficulty leaving the parking lot. Upon closer inspection, the officers determined that some shoppers had parked their vehicles along an exit lane, blocking traffic.

Drivers who were in their parked vehicles in the exit lane were instructed by police to move from that area. Laskiewicz said the officers contacted a towing company to remove two unoccupied vehicles from the exit lane.

As one vehicle was being towed away, Elmita Jeremie, 40, returned to her 1999 Toyota Corolla which was parked in the exit lane.

Laskiewicz said Sgt. Wayne Olejarz approached Jeremie and told her she was going to receive a parking ticket. Officials said an altercation began when Jeremie refused to produce her credentials for the officer.

Police said Jeremie allegedly made two attempts to flee the scene in her vehicle, but could not get very far because of the traffic in the area. After being directed by Olejarz to pull over, Jeremie allegedly attempted to complete a turn in the middle of traffic in another attempt to flee, according to police.

When Olejarz attempted to reach into the vehicle to put it in park, Jeremie allegedly bit the officer’s left hand, which led to a struggle, Laskiewicz said.

He said Jeremie was removed from her vehicle by Olejarz and allegedly bit the officer’s right hand during the incident.

Jeremie was taken into custody and charged with obstruction of the administration of the law, resisting arrest and aggravated assault on a police officer. She was released on a summons, pending a court appearance.