Father of abandoned boy in Italy; police search apartment

By: Vic Monaco
   HIGHTSTOWN — Law enforcement officials say Rosario "Roy" Digirolamo flew to Italy after his baby was recently abandoned at a Delaware hospital and his girlfriend, Amy Giordano of Hightstown, disappeared.
   "Records indicate Mr. Digirolamo flew from Newark to Milan, Italy, on June 14," said Casey DeBlasio of the Mercer County prosecutor’s office.
   Ms. DeBlasio also confirmed that law enforcement officials executed a search warrant at Ms. Giordano’s former apartment at 108 Mercer St. on Tuesday morning.
   "A few items were removed," Ms. DeBlasio said. "The apartment has not been released yet. We may need to do more investigation there."
   Tuesday’s apartment search came about three weeks after Ms. Giordano was last seen locally and 17 days since 11-month-old Michael Digirolamo was found unharmed outside Christiana Hospital in Newark, Del.
   Borough Detective Ben Miller previously said he was investigating a missing persons case and insisted there was no evidence of a crime. He is apparently no longer talking to the media, as the prosecutor’s office has taken over those duties. The apartment was eventually sealed Thursday after a joint decision was made by the local police department and the county prosecutor’s office. But that was after about 10 members of the media were allowed to walk through the apartment.
   Landlord Mike Vanderbeck called police after realizing that a photo of an abandoned baby on television resembled his tenant’s child. Left behind in the apartment were the baby’s belongings along with credit cards of Ms. Giordano and Mr. Digirolamo and Ms. Giordano’s identification cards. Mr. Vanderbeck found the cards in a purse long after local police had visited the apartment.
   Ms. DeBlasio also confirmed to the Herald on Tuesday that Ms. Giordano was last seen June 7 at the ShopRite on Route 130 in East Windsor with Mr. Digirolamo and their baby.
   Mr. Digirolamo is a married man who has lived in Millstone since at least 1999.
   For further updates, please continue to log on to windsorhightsherald.com and see this Friday’s edition of the Herald.